1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid SD Card question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I believe in 2002, 512MB was the maximum capacity of an SD Card. I'm a first-timer to MP3 players and just purchased a Coby from the local supermarket. For a relatively cheap device, this is working out grand for me right now. However, the 256MB is slightly limiting, and the manual states that 512MB is the maximum expandability. Should I take that as a literal limit, or might new technology allow me to toss a 4GB SD Card into this thing? I ask because I know very little about SD Cards. Thanks!

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Could you buy a 4GB card and if it doesn't work just return it?

:)

3. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

I would. The only issue is if a store b****es about me opening the package, I don't know what the issues are. I was hoping to ask before possibly making a fool out of myself. Knowhadimsayin?

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Use Bestbuy or CC, they never hassle me when I pull this kind of stuff... :D :D :D ;)

5. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I think the only issue would be wether or not the player can actually address that much memory. Because there's so much more memory you need longer addresses and that means your hardware needs to be able to store and work with these longer addresses. It's very possible that the makers of the player decided to limit it to 512 MB in order to keep complexity and cost down. A 4 GB card will likely work, but it's possible you might just never see the last 3.5 GB worth of space since your hardware doesn't know it exists.

Your best bet is probably to try it out (or contact the manufacturer if you're feeling ambitious). If you're up front with the folks at the electronics store you should be able to find out if you can return it without hassle before you buy.

-Nate

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner. Your device only has registers to handle 512 MB of memory addresses. A larger card may or may not work, depending on the formatting and file system and the files that you put on them. (Just because you only put 512MB on it doesn't necessarily mean that it put the data on the 1st 512 MB of the card, and your device may only see the first 512, if anything)

7. I think for the price you would pay for the card, you could get a better quality player new.maybe not. I dont know how much but i'm sure its a pretty penny.