Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid snare drum

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by vindy500, Aug 19, 2005.

1. so we do these slow songs right, and i come in and im like boooom as basses do, and i hear this stupid rattle, i tunr to the drummer and hes laughing at his snare, is there a way to solve this silly snare problem?

2. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    If he puts the snare on "tom mode"-it shouldn't rattle. He can always put it back on when its time to use it.

Andrew

3. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Low notes are going to happen and "springs" will rattle on snare drums. The sensitivity can be adjusted on most snare drums, but not without effect on how the snare sounds. Soundpeople will often put a "gate" on the snare mic so that all the little extraneous noises(grunts and bodily functions included) will not get picked-up by the very sensitive snare mic, the level has to be at a certain volume to come through over the PA.
    It's really the drummers responsibility to make his/her kit sound musical, so don't alter your eq setting(not that you were thinking about it). Making sure your cabs are not directly behind the drummer can help a bit. Deadening the top head on a snare will minimize this effect. Try taking your wallet out of your pocket(take the money out first because we all know that drummers cannot be trusted)and setting on the snare drum. The drummer will get anoyed, but realize that it helps and come up with his/her own solution to the problem.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not really that big a deal...it'll be heard in a quiet room, like during sound check, but once the show begins, it disappears.

The least of my problems is the snare...I have to contend with the duct work, windows or in once place we play, a tin ceiling, all of which will rattle if you push some real lows.

5. I wouldn't worry too much about the snare, then. It sounds to me like a job for the corps of engineers. In the meantime, as opposed to the "wallet mute", my son plays percussion and for the snare, his instructor has him use a small piece of suede type cloth set off to the side on the snare and it takes care of overtones and cuts vibration down a little, but doesn't do much for the snares. Those are on the bottom and are effected separately along with the bottom head. Worst case, try this. Have the drummer, (or sneak it on yourself), put a little piece of tape across the snares at one end; just enough to dampen them a little, not stop them completely. Hopefully this may work and when he plays, his stick strike should still vibrate the snares enough to sound fine, but they won't "flop in the breeze" while he's not playing...IMHO, it's worth a shot.

I usually have trouble with the frequency of the bass drum conflicting with some of my bass frequencies when I'm playing, but only in a small rehearsal space, when he's not using his own kit. The rehearsal kit is tuned differently than his. It's almost as if they cancel each other out; I guess we're "out of phase".

Good luck!

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum. Moved.

7. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I actually kind of like that sound. In my band the bass-triggered snare and squeaky bass drum pedal have always been part of our signature sound... ;)

8. All snares can be turned on and off with a switch on the side as Andrew said, it just slacks the snarewire for tuning or other such things such as this.

9. naughtry

naughtry

Jan 31, 2004
    NYC / D.C.
    Cheap or old worn snare wires do it more, he might need to just replace his snare.

my cheap fix... i got a drum kit at home and put a square of toliet paper under the snare wires while in the off position and then flipped it on so it stays in place . Snare drums still sounds the same just no rattle while I'm practicing by myself.

10. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Back when I was a drummer, I would use the wallet trick to deaden a "ringing" snare. The snare wires are difficult to dampen without affecting the tone too much. One option is to switch to marching drum style snares which are rawhide instead of twisted wire. I used Kotex at times to dampen snares. You feel kinda goofy buying them but they work! Might try one on the snare and see if it works.