1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stupid String Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Feb 28, 2001.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, This may seem dumb to y'all, but I have hunted everywhere and I can't find the answer. Those little dampeners - the pads - that come with DB strings...first of all, am I correct that they go at the ball end of the string to protect the tailpiece? The reason I ask is because that's where I put 'em, but when I originally bought my bass, there was nothing of the sort on the strings it came with. I am wondering if this effects the sound at all, but its a little project to take strings on and off, so I thought I would ask first...feel free to call me dumb, but I'd love some info too...

2. Actually,not such a stupid question. First, you are correct in assuming they go on the Ball end, and their main purpose is to protect the tailpiece. I really don't think that it has that much of an effect on the sound, but think on this...The entire string vibrates when you play, and over a period of time the vibration of the string, combined with the string tension, will wear a nice little groove in the tailpiece, which could result in some unwanted rattling, not to mention possibly cracking the tailpiece, which I have seen happen on some lower quality tailpieces. So,my advice is to leave 'em on, they are there for a reason.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    which kinda bums me out that the last owner didn't use 'em. I do have some pretty minor grooves in there....oh well no big deal. thanks for the info.

4. I use them because they come with the strings. My luthier, who knows more than anyone I know, throws them out. A clear case of chocolate vs. vanilla.