Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid String Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Feb 28, 2001.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, This may seem dumb to y'all, but I have hunted everywhere and I can't find the answer. Those little dampeners - the pads - that come with DB strings...first of all, am I correct that they go at the ball end of the string to protect the tailpiece? The reason I ask is because that's where I put 'em, but when I originally bought my bass, there was nothing of the sort on the strings it came with. I am wondering if this effects the sound at all, but its a little project to take strings on and off, so I thought I would ask first...feel free to call me dumb, but I'd love some info too...

2. Actually,not such a stupid question. First, you are correct in assuming they go on the Ball end, and their main purpose is to protect the tailpiece. I really don't think that it has that much of an effect on the sound, but think on this...The entire string vibrates when you play, and over a period of time the vibration of the string, combined with the string tension, will wear a nice little groove in the tailpiece, which could result in some unwanted rattling, not to mention possibly cracking the tailpiece, which I have seen happen on some lower quality tailpieces. So,my advice is to leave 'em on, they are there for a reason.

3. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    which kinda bums me out that the last owner didn't use 'em. I do have some pretty minor grooves in there....oh well no big deal. thanks for the info.

4. I use them because they come with the strings. My luthier, who knows more than anyone I know, throws them out. A clear case of chocolate vs. vanilla.