1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid stuff you did when you were younger.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Another thread got me to thinking about this. For me the list is long but here are a few.

When I was 18, I hitch hiked from San Diego, California to Huntsville, Texas to hang out with some friends for the summer. Mom had a fit and insisted on buying me a bus ticket on the way back. Hitch hiking only took me 2 days and the bus took me 4 or 5. It sucked! Looking back though it probably was not one of my wiser ideas in life but it was quite the adventure and is still one heck of a story to tell.

In 97', when El Nino hit, I took my stand up jet ski wave jumping out in the ocean with a friend who was a very experienced rider. I had only been riding for less than 6 months. The waves were only supposed to be about 12 to 15 feet. However, the further we went out into the ocean the bigger they got. Some were rolling in at about 25 feet. The backside of the waves was probably 4 to 5 times my height and the face was even bigger. I am 6 foot tall and it was like riding up a mountain of water where I could literally feel the engine strain under power to climb the waves. I was scared poohless and realized once I got out there I really had made a bad mistake. I survived but won't ever again go out in waves that large.

2. Pretty much everything I do.

3. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    As a 16 year old, I'm gonna keep an eye on what gets posted here, I'm startingt o get bored...

4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    I may have set a school bus seat on fire.

5. Road my motorcycle in the hilly streets of Pittsburgh in the winter...like January. Almost got killed.

Another Pittsburgh story, I put a chunk of asphalt on the streetcar track and derailed a car.

6. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    you bastard!

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Definitely huffing gas when I was 13.

8. I threw a Yamaha CS-5 analog monophonic synthesizer in the trash because after having it serviced, it made a funny noise. They go for like $500 nowadays, and you can run a bass through it.
    I also hung out w/some really stupid people.

9. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I used to regularly wear purple eye shadow, I thought it was kind of cool and different I think...looking back it just made it look like I'd been punched in the face.

l_0ca2b186aa854db2942535e0b5b1a7f5.

10. Dropped out of high school (I've since gone back and graduated but not till I was like 25) and moved to the Mountains with nothing but my snowboard, bass and $300. Lasted 2 years and had a blast..but in that time I also ended up living behind a broken dryer in the hallway of a half condemned apartment complex and in a 15' sCamper trailer at the base of a mountain with no propane in the middle of winter. I also had to battle squirrels that would get into the scamper while I was out, eat my peanut butter and crap on the table/bed.

During and since those things I have made several other questionable decisions but these were the first I thought of.

11. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    Very brave of you to post a picture of yourself with purple eyeshadow. Now I'll just grab some popcorn and wait for the photoshoppers :hyper:

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've been stranded in the combat zone
    I walked through Bedford Stuy alone
    Even rode my motorcycle in the rain
    And you told me not to drive
    But I made it home alive
    So you said that only proves that I'm insane

13. "Road Rash" at about 8-9. Cycling around on our bikes hitting each other with sticks.
    Running around the streets with BB guns shooting each other when we were 13-14.
    Making homemade napalm at 15-16.

Thats about it :p

14. That and starting to drink at 13.

Downing a pint of vodka followed by a pint of tequila at 17 was also pretty stupid.

15. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Could you still see afterwards?

16. guitarchaser

guitarchaser

Mar 6, 2010
    Scotland
    Getting drunk at 16/17, or rather the stupid thing was the location. Used to skip classes Tuesday and Thursday afternoon (double period of art that I was already taking in another time slot) with a friend and go and sit in the park right next to the school and drink...but right next to the school was the police station. It's a wonder we weren't caught either by the teachers who went looking for kids in the park (only really a worry if you were in anything below 5th year) or by the police who used to go out in groups running round the park.

Although we must have scared a few dog owners, walking round and round the same bit of park and practically squealing over any dog we passed o_O;;;

Oh and knackering up one of my knees while jumping off a wall drunk but managing to hit a parked car in the process, my friend shouting out 'I knew THAT was going to happen!!!' and still brings it up to this day......or doing the music for Star Wars in a friends street at 3 in the morning at the top of our lungs...

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    My friends and I fancied ourselves martial arts experts in middle school, and there was a part where one of the walls met against the concrete of the cafeteria wall outside, so we used to go and run up it. (like bruce lee) We knew we weren't supposed to do it, and one day sure enough our Assistant Principal came outside right as I was running up and yelled at me. Well, I wound up slipping with my left foot and when i pushed off with my right my head met the cafeteria wall with some force. That was fun.

My dad's best friend (whom I'm named after, and whose son is named after my dad), my dad, and his son were playing around with fire works like drunken hillbillies from Arkansas (which to be fair, we were) and decided it'd be hilarious if we tied together 3 mortar style fireworks together, lit them, then put them under a recycling bin. My dad's friend and I stood about 3 feet away from it, while my dad and his namesake hid behind a car. Needless to say they were the smart ones. I had a hole in my hair where about 5 sparks landed that was a solid 2-3 inches across. I looked like one of those old Gregorian monks or something.

Theres always the obligatory drinking in HS, though one day I payed for it big time by getting drunker than normal (no lunch :ninja:) right before football practice. That didn't end well.

This one's music related: I was talking to a friend of mine while tuning a cello and wound up forgetting about the string I was tuning, and tuned the A string to tight it broke the string and chipped the bridge. That was fun.

Just a few.

18. Driving drunk
    Sleeping with people drunk
    starting a 3 acre forest fire
    breaking random windows out with spark plugs (yes a small chunk of one will shatter a window of any car).
    All of which i did not get caught for but man was i stupid, i look back and wonder what the hell was i thinking.

I am only 20 so i guess thats "young" in most people's eyes, but i think all that stupid stuff is behind me .

19. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Looking back now, I feel like jumping off a garage roof was fairly foolish. Quite lucky that I didn't break one/both of my ankles.

Once, me and my friends took some dried Scotch Bonnets and soaked them in vinegar for two weeks, then did a shot of the vinegar with little pieces of chilli in. Hottest thing ever. Stomach cramps, etc. Shots of soy sauce weren't fun either.

We also made a house out of Lego, then filled it with strips of paper caps (you know, the ones that are long thin strips of paper with little pockets of powder, and they come all rolled up) and then set it on fire. Between the mini fireballs from the exploding caps and the toxic plastic fumes, it probably wasn't too wise. Fun though.

20. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Hmmm

When in a bad mood, I was the kind of guy to become pernicious and vile. Very subtle. So most things I regret are acts of quiet vengeance, some pretty serious like getting someone fired from his job, in some southern US state, dropped off the side of the road and told to go back to Quebec by himself.

Other dumb stuff includes DIY bacteriological warfare dumbness (barely more than sophisticated stink bombs), fake e-mail sending (got me into trouble), and hooking up with girls my friends had crushes on.