Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid, stupid fan!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Not a day goes by when I don't hit my headstock on my ceiling fan when attaching the strap. Am I just a dufus that hasn't learned to watch for the fan? Anyone else do this?

2. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nope. I don't do that. Not 1 scratch, dent or chip in any of my headstocks.

I wouldn't say you're retarded.....you're just.....special.:)

Dave

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I wish I had a fan in my practice room.

I have a really really crappy in wall air-conditioner that takes forever to make a toticeable difference.

Oh yeah and I live in Miami Fl.

Oh and my house is consumed in endless hell fire.

So yeah it gets hot.

Peace
    Nick

Ok so what if I lied about the hell fire?!!

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Appears that way. Where are you from? Texas, you say? Hmmm?

:D :D :D :D

5. Well, I live in Texas, plus I always seem to have the "hot" room. (Last house, it was really hot, we moved, my room again is incredibly hot) In addition to the ceiling fan, I have 3 plug-in fans as well, and at nights it still manages to get hot.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, easy on the Texas jokes. My co-mod is from Texas, y'know...

Oh, and I have another gig @ the Canvas this Sunday (at 9). Maybe we can get Lisa to swing by again.:D

7. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    One of the bands I'm playing in right now has two of us bass players- and it never fails- everytime the other guy takes off his bass- slam- right into the ceiling- and he always just looks at me with this sad look on his face- guess it doesn't help that he's about 6'3"!

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ive done it more than once with my old bass. Theres nothing you can do but smack your forhead and try to remember that bastard fan is there. I havent done it with my current bass but there are soooooo many littlle cuts, nicks, gouges, dents, scrapes, and small slits in the head stock. I dont know what I have been doing to this thing, it doesnt matter though, its a Fender. It can take it...:)

9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    my bass' headstock is scratched up a bit,but i dont really care.i mean,whats a few scratches and dents gonna do?at first i was so scared of it falling or hitting something,now i dont care as much.as long as i dont mutilate it.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I don't think I could count the number of times I've hit mine in the fan. Oh well...they're nothing fancy, and they're for playing and working with anyways. Last gig I managed to "accidently" knock my mic stand over 5 times...some idiot said I wouldn't do it cause my bass was too nice. :rolleyes: Got $5 for each time I did it. Sucker!

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got your back, Will.:cool:

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Miami's humidity is killer, makes it feel alot hotter than it is.

I was talking about my jam space before, but now lets talk about my bed room:

My room has a balcony across the front that has two huge doors that dont close right and leave a big gap letting all the nice cool air out, in addition, the AC vents dont wrok in my room.
    Its ok, because I have a nice ceiling fan right? WRONG! It doesnt work, and is louder than hell!

GRRR, I WIN!!!!

Peace
    Nick

13. Joe,
    I've wacked my bass so many times I've lost count. So don't worry there's other "special" people like us out there.

14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You're not really a dumbass until you whack yourself in the forehead with your bass, while putting it on.

I've done that once or thrice.

:D

Big Wheel -- Nice user title! Perhaps I could be Baldrick to your Edmund? ;)

15. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I smacked myself in the lip with my bass the other night, can anyone say double-dumbass?

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've done that more than once. I haven't done it in a while......

<font size=7 color=red>BAM!!!</font>

....this was the 1st time in a long while since I hit the headstock on the ceiling fan. :p

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I win. I dont smack my bass into fans, but I have hit my head on many many low fans. I'm 6'5" though. Some of these places only have 7' ceilings.

I did have my old bass in a gig-bag w/ a shoulder strap, had to wear it upside down to get through doors. It almost sucks to be this tall. But, I can see over my rig!:D

18. once at a rehersal i hit the guy next to me (2nd chair) with a machine head right on the top of his head(im 6'5). oh and those scalp wounds bleed like a @#$%. he had to get stiches. I felt bad but when he let out a yell it was darn funny

:confused: :rolleyes:

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Stupid... fan? ;)

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't done the ceiling fan thing, except with my hands and elbows.

I have hit my Pedulla headstock to headstock against my guitarist's Les Paul a couple of times, though.