stupid...stupid question...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cods, Nov 29, 2003.

1. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    that i should know the answer to.

p pick ups are bassy, jazzes have more treble, MM humbuckers are really bright and trebely, but...

what about the other kind of humbucking pick ups?

what is "their sound"?
  2. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i messed up my first post( i edited it), i meant to say "what about the other kind of humbucking pick ups?"

like the ones in ibanezes, or the conklin gt-7?
  3. yeah..idk about thought my jazz bass was more "bassy" then my p bass. P's i think are more punchy. Idk...yeah

- w00t
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The shape of the housing has nothing to do with either internal construction or sound. Period.
  5. cods

Sep 16, 2003

but GENERALLY speaking...what is their sound?
  6. want a straight answer?

7. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    so would they be like a mix between a p and a j?
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Every pickup has a different sonic character. You can't make the judgment you are asking us to make.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There is no single answer to this question. Pickups sound radically different from each other depending on their internal structure. You've got so many companies making so many different types of humbuckers that they can't be categorized with a single phrase.
  10. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as everyone has said, there's no easy answer.

Soapbar is really just a generic name for a type of housing. In there you could have a single coil, a P config, reverse P config, dual coil, quad coil.

Then the dual / quad coils could be wired in series/parallel/split. A Stingray 4 humbucker is wired in parallel, which is quieter than series and gives you more high end.

I know it can all be bewildering, but it may be easier to think of what type of sound you want to get and then maybe we can suggest some pickups / wiring combinations that we feel will get something close to what you're looking for.

As one man's Bartolini is another man's Mighty Mite, opinions will vary!
  11. that's funny that you say that because i've heard some J pickups with more punch than P pickups.

example, i was at guitar center oggling at basses, so i try out a fender aerodyne bass (P/J pickups) versus an active jazz bass (J/J) and the active one had way more punch to it. (same EQ settings, same amp and all)

i guess that's not the most fair example but you shouldn't get in the mindset that there's no way you can have a really punchy J bass what with the advent of active electronics.
  12. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    how about the bartolini pick ups in the conklin gt-7?

13. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Those are custom bartolinis for Conklin, so probably only a Conklin owner / someone who's played one could answer that. I don't know if they're single /dual/quad coil.
  14. humbuckers are just single coils in pairs
    so you can use one coil with the other bucking the hum and not connected
    coil tap...
    or run in parallel and you get two single coil sounds quite nearly the same...emphasis on the top end
    when run in series top end is shaved off and more bass response comes in to effect.apparently that is..
    the main component of the sound of the pup is where it is placed relative to the bridge and nut where different harmonics are picked up along with the string vibrations..
    single coils, humbuckers in any form can be housed in any type of enclosure
    straight, split, or double coil..
    a soapbar is just a name for the shell..