Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupid teenage rant #114,034

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    OK, soooooooooooooooo

My sisters boyfriend and his brother moved in with my family.

Their parents died a couple years ago, and they have been collecting social security and a few other things since... It hasn't been enough to cover the bills. They got rid of all unnecessaries... still wasn't enough...

Curtis is 21 (Sisters bf) is 21, and Roger (curt's bro) is 19? 20? one of those...

Curtis is a reserve marine so he gets $250 a month from them, enough for gas for the month, groceries, other little necessities... He is going to Cal State Bako for a business degree, not working... He was working at the cable company for awhile, though.

Roger is working at comp usa and going to the community college to get gen eds out of the way and such...

They are by no means bums... They do what they can, and don't mooch off of us..

Curtis has moved into the office outside my room... We moved my mom's pc to her room, and stuck his stuff in there...

Fine. dandy... Except now if I want to get up and get water at 3 in the morning, I have to be really careful not to stub my toe on his stuff, and not to wake him up.

I can't listen to music or play games at night, cause i'll keep him up... I can't play bass... i cant play drums... i cant do things that I was otherwise able to do at night since I am on the complete other side of the house than everyone.

And I feel like he is gonna spy on me... He is my mom's bitch, to an extent... and I'm sure if she asked, he'd rat me out for stuff...

I know I am being selfish... but they didn't even talk to me and my little sister before moving him in. It was just "Hey, curt is gonna be moving in with us next week." "Gee... thats great mom."

Isn't it common decency to atleast see what the other people who are going to be affected think?

Gah...

I thought it was temporary... year and a half, tops....

NO!

More like 2-5 years... I may damned well be out and supporting myself before he leaves...

All because he won't shuffle work and school... He won't do night classes. And yes, it is always better to just get school out of the way and focus on that alone.. But he is not the only case of "dead parents" in the world.

Roger lives across the street with my aunt... so I have no beef with him... He isn't here when I get home from school and ruining my routine of "House to myself, lets blare Orgy's version of blue monday and head bang"

Gah...

sorry.

/rant

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    and to top it all off...

last night, i went to bed wearing my retainer... i wake up and its gone.

I CANT FIND IT. gah.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Curt snuck in last night, stole it, and now it's straightening his teeth.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Could be worse Mike...Munji could have moved in! ;) :D

5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Suck it up, Mike. You're not in the position they are. A roof over your head and the chance to become successful is much more important than your "routine of "House to myself, lets blare Orgy's version of blue monday and head bang". I'm not saying you can't think it sucks, but just live with it.

You also asked if it's common courtesy.....

no, not really. Your parents pay the bills, not you.

Not trying to be rude or blow off your situation, that's just my opinion.

6. thats a tough one. I don't know about 2 years, thats pushing the generosity a bit far. I could do it for a few months, 6 perhaps. only other option is if you move, but thats inconvenience to you as well.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ditto

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Remember this...

First, its not YOUR house... Its your parents. If your approval was required, they'd have asked you...

Secondly, you're seeing how they handle the situation when someone's having problems... Bitch about it, & they'll be less likely to treat you so well,, when you need help.

9. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    As a parent, I don't think I would bring that kind of stress into the family unit and I guraran-damn-tee you I wouldn't be letting my daughters boyfriend move into the house.

You can see the downside of THAT comming from a mile away with a brass band in front of it.

Having said that, it is your parents house. Judging by your birthdate, I would say that raging hormones and general teenage angst is a pretty big component you what you feel. Not that it makes you feel any better.

I'm 45 and I detest my neighbors so, I feel your pain.

If you're looking for a ray of hope:
    1. You could try to talk to your parents about it (yeah, right.)

2. The chances are pretty good that there will be a fight and a break-up that will get the guy out of your life soon.

3. Then there's always the ol' "Strange pair of panties under the car seat" ploy if you're in a hurry to generate #2.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'd try the panties... but it wouldnt work. This guy is a total wuss... I'll be watching TV, and some good lookin dame with come on TV, I'll point her out to Curt, and he looks at me like i'm cheating on my wife or something...

And its my mom that really likes him.. So even if they did break up, he'd still be here...

And yes, it is not my house and i dont pay the bills... but im still mad. :p

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Of course... You don't really think that a guy, who's receiving support from a family, because of the relationship w/ thier DAUGHTER,, is going to come in & act like a horn dog in front of another family member, do you?

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

No... but he can't even admit to the woman being attractive..

He is just way to uptight... It is a complete personality clash, and I am the one who gets the short end of the stick... If me and him are doing something, and I think of something different, and I tell him, my mom tells me im being rude... if we are talking, and I argue with one of his points, im being rude..

Its not so much that he's there, its that I'm supposed to change myself over it. That is my real problem.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Save money now. Not for more gear. Not for a car, not for a vacation.

Save money now for your own place. There's nothing like it:

1)Play tunes LOUD at ALL HOURS! (Kashmir..over and over again...!)
    2) You can watch endless hours of adult flicks.
    3) Or, (instead of #2) have a nice girl watch flicks with you, or play Kashmir...over and over.
    4)Play bass all the time.
    5)Hang out online at TalkBass all the time.
    6)Your own place to get away from everyone/everything else.
    7)You can once again compare the quality of several different brands of macaroni and cheese to determine your favorite.
    8) The john...all to yourself and your favorite book or mag!
    9)You have only yourself to blame when you trip over stuff in the dark (unless it's the girl's stuff).
    10)All that beer in the fridge...YOURS!

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In Mike's defense:

I dont think he was asking that his parents ask him for aproval, but rather just let him know what was going on and ask him how he felt so they could discus it and possibly sort out all the crap feelings before they moved in. They sprung it up on him like a suprise so he didnt have a chance to sort through it all in his head.

Of course its his parents decision, but that doesnt mean they shouldnt be nice enough to warn him and discuss whats going on.

15. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I gotta say,, Mike, you shouldn't have to change WHO YOU ARE, just because you have house guests... Its all too common for a teenager to misread a situation, & become indignant.

16. ditto.

17. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    I concur.

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    He doesn't have to change who he is.

Who you are around other people does not equate to who you really are. Just because you can't have it your way all the time is not infringing on your rights.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Mike, your parents will get sick of them, eventually.

20. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Life is full of lots of fun little surprises, frustrations, unjustices and etc. There are MUCH worse things than having someone take over a bit of your space and chip into your 'alone' time. Like, gee, I don't know... having your parents die maybe?