stupid things non bassists have said about bass players/basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jun 22, 2001.

1. I ripped off the idea from the idiot music salesmen thread...

"Its probably mexican pine. Thats what my guitar is made out of" - my friend after I was trying to figure out if a PRS Body was alder or swamp ash. And, sadly, he was being serious.

"Stupid! You can't play chords on bass!" - idiot guitarist via the internet

"fieldy rawks!' - name not disclosed to protect the guilty.
  2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    A mate said to me that my Ibanez GSR200 was better than a musicman sterling cause my bass had more pickups.

He also said to me that bass was easy to play. I gave him my bass to play - he made a fool of himself.
  3. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    "dude, guitar is a million times harder than bass, i mean bass has 4 strings." a kid that goes to my school said that.

Mar 3, 2001
    Ada, Ok
    you left out "i cant hear bass in songs" and the contradicting "the bass is too loud!!"

a lot of people when you tell them you play bass always say, "oh yeah, well i have this cousin that plays guitar and he is better than jimi hendrix..."
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i don´t get trash like that...

but one time i was talking to a girl and mentioned i play bass... then she said something like "but Bass is not as EMOTIONAL as a Guitar"...

then i replied something like "that´s because bass is more rhythm based than guitar, which is melodic"

and then i said "but you should check out this music underground with many SOLO bassist that make melody out of the bass... really cool"

and then she kind of agreed with me... :)
  6. I have had a lot of people, who know nothing about music, ask me what the point of a band having a bassist is. I usually don't even bother trying to explain.
  7. I know a drummer who said to me "When you buy your bass, make sure it's an Ibanez. They're the best you can get. And if you do get an Ibanez, make sure it's the one Fieldy plays."

I answered "Well, I was actually lookin at a Fender J Bass."

Then he said "Don't get a Fender! They suck! They have pickguards! Yuck!"

I just left it at that. Ugh. People like this have so much to learn.
  8. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Reminds me of the time one of my friends was getting a band together, but the guitarist he was playing with refused to allow a bassist into the group. I tried to make this guitarist see sense on my friend's behalf, but he wouldn't budge, citing the Manic Street Preachers as an example of a successful band without a bassist, as can be seen below:

Needless to say the band didn't get very far.
  9. and "Play some funky slap!!!!!!"

and "any guitarist can play bass.. but bass players can't play guitar", followed by them attempting to strum a bass and play metallica.
  10. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    "dude you strat like missing strings"i play amusic man .
    why does a band need a bass player you dont hear it.i put on primus and like hit him.dude bass is so easy there just 4 strings.

dude that guiatre looks funny. that guitare is too low. trun your bass down .my amp was of.
    how come you cant play like higher sounds.
  11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    "that guitar is stupid. it hasn't got enough strings."
    ~ 5 year-old nephiew.

"bass is so easy, man. guitar is hard as !"
    ~ guitarist

"careful, buddy. those leather pants are stopping the flow of oxygen to your cerebrum."
    ~ bassist

12. A guitar player I know also said bass was easy, so I asked him to try to play along with "Orion" by Metallica while reading the tab, and he couldn't do it. I happened to do it with relative ease, except for a couple parts, and it blew him away. My stupidness has also been contributed to playing bass, but I think it's the mind altering drugs... j/k

Lotsa people say bass is easy cuz lots of bassists just bust out root notes, and that is easy, it's doing it with a passion that can be tricky. And some guitar player asked what notes the strings were, and he was amazed that they were the same as his. He was also like 10, but still....
  13. My guitarist friend tred to convince me that guitar was SO much harder then bass. So I suggested that we switch instruments and play blitzkreig bob together, a REAL east punk tune. I hadnt played the guitar like at all, and I totally smoked him with power chords while he was actually struggling on the roots, and he is a real good guitarist. Nevertheless, he stopped sayin stuff about basses.
  14. My guitarist suggested to me that i learn rhythm guitar as i am a "good bassist who should find guitar really easy".. oh sure! and what about becoming really good at the bass? at the thing i love! And then have to teach a bassist all my lines because we would have to get a new one!

15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    and being in a metal band Merls, your lines would be how hard to play, exactly ? :D
  16. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Great quote. :rolleyes:
  17. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    What kind of Fender Jazz bass is that?
  18. A freind of mine that I record with a lot had just wrote a new song, I had left my bass there so he figured that he would try to put a simple little bass line down. HA HA HA. I came over the next week to record the real bass line and he said. Damn that thing is so hard to play, pushing the strings down and trying to play a good bass line humbled him. You can even hear him panting on the recording. :D

Now there is at least one guitar player I know that has respect for the bass player.
  19. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    No thread like this would ever be complete without that crowd favourite, "That's an awfully big guitar."

The one I get most often is when people ask to see my bass (I always oblige because, much like myself, my bass is a thing of true beauty) is "So what are the chords for bass?" I suppose it's pretty innocent, but it still gets on my nerves. =/
  20. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Sorry, but I couldn't tell you - I just copied the pic from the Manic's website. If Nicky Wire's playing it, my guess would be it's not a very good one. ;)