1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid things you've done at Music stores

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Aug 9, 2007.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well I thought this would make a fun thread, have any of you done anything stupid/clumsy while testing out gear?

I'll go first, I hope I'm the only one who doesn't post this or has done this.

Well today I was checking out a Godin Freeway bass for the feel I told the sales guy he didn't have to plug me in but he did anyways. After I'm done I uhhh forgot to turn off the amp and took the cord out:scowl: so I got this huge buzz going on for a while and got scowled at by the sales guy, damn did I feel stupid:mad: and I still do.

So now cheer me up with similiar stories please!

2. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Stupidest thing I've ever done in a music store? Walked in with a big wad of cash in my pocket, and then was dumb enough to tell the sales guy exactly how much cash I had on me when he asked how much I was prepared to spend...

3. +1!

I did that a few times, when I couldve gotten a much better deal.

OTOH, I've gone in and picked something out and gotten the guy to come down a little bit, then told him I only had x amount of cash (i.e. trying to buy a $100 piece of equipment, got it down to 80, then told him I only had 70.)

:D

4. I got a Job at one once, that'll be the last time that ever happens:D

5. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo

/slaps forehead

+1

Doh!

6. i broke the d string on a carvin once:oops:
    i also almost knocked the chick at the door over on my way out.:oops:

7. Once I tripped on a chord of a set of headphones, broke the headphones, and nearly tore an expesive keyboard off the wall. I walked away pretending like nothing had happened.

8. gizmobltd

gizmobltd

Jun 25, 2007
    Scranton
    got talked into putting a amp on layaway

9. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    How about the time I was trying a Marshall full stack (guitar amp) just for kicks... from about six inches away from it, I switched to the gain channel, not realizing it was cranked up to full on every setting. The ensuing feedback could have destroyed Tokyo better than several Godzillas I'm sure. After I recovered from the shock of it and got the amp back to a sane volume, a clerk came up to me and asked if I knew what I was doing... d'oh.

10. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Was screwing around in a Sam Ash in NJ and was playing a 69 fretless P. I had a lot of fun and then I put it back on the wall hanger. I turn around and *insert crashing noise here* it fell on the floor. I didn't put it on right.

I ran out of there so fast.

11. i switched on a SWR combo and for about a minute no sound came out, then all of a sudden smoke came out of it and it started to stink really bad. i promptly got the heck out of dodge..

12. - Made a fool of myself showing off (twice).. You can believe it won't happen a third time.

13. I bought a brand new Musicman stingray5 back in the early 90's and did the Waynes world thing with "Do you accept cash"? and pulled the money out of the front of my pants, It was already stappled into a fan shape. I dont think the sales guy had seen the movie. I spent the next 10 minutes of uneasy silence pulling the stapples out of the cash!

Another one was when I was trying out the SWR megoliath cab in a crowded music store. I brought my own 800watt head, bi-amped it, hooked it up, turned the volume way up and hit the "B" string on my NT thumb5 hard. Some of the posters that were taped to the wall fell off the wall, the windows shook and every acoustic guitar in the place had all six strings rattling for about 30 seconds after I muted it. After the 30 or so seconds of dead silence & the look of "what the ****" from the sales man, I said, "I'll take it".

Cheers

Rusty

14. YEAHH!!!
    F'n A!!!

I went to GC with my little sis to try out different basses to see what she likes (I'm teaching her). I went into the keyboard room and started playing "Open Arms" by Journey on an electric piano. When I stopped one of the sales people said, "Dude, that's so gay.":rolleyes:

15. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Un-plugging a bass that is being run through a 4x10 w/ a 500 watt head at full volume is always embarrassing...

*POP!*

16. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    knocked over alot of stuff once.

that and acted smarter then the owner, only to be burned by his wife.

17. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I did something like that when I bought my Travis Bean at EU Wurlitzer in Boston. The guy wouldn't come down, pretended to go see the manager, the full schtick. I just kept playing until he finally got sick of me and caved. This took around two hours, and it was a Saturday morning when the store was packed. Then it turned out I was actually short by like 4 bucks or something, 'cause I forgot that I'd bought a sleazy breakfast sandwich or whatever on the way into town .:rolleyes:

So I promise to come back with the 4 bucks, but he tells me to forget it, and I leave with the bass. I get outside the store, only to realize I'm penniless and I need a buck to get home on the T. I panhandled some sweet little ol' lady, telling her I'm a Berklee student (a shameless lie, but we were right around the corner from Berklee) and I need to get home with my shiny new bass. No worries, she sets me up and I get home, where my landlady nearly throws me out for not having the rent 'till next week.

Kids those days...;)

18. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I asked for help at a GC once...

19. My girlfriend and I went to the music store together on a date:

we were sitting on some amps and chilling while I was playing some hollow-bodies. A 13 year old boy and his mother are shopping together. He tells his mom that he sees a guitar with 7-strings and he thinks it's the greatest thing in the world. I promptly blurt out "pfft, you haven't earned that yet."

...I felt so embarerssed and i'm sure his mother wasn't very happy :rollno:

oh and the girlfriend, she kept asking me when we were going to leave. I totally thought that she wanted to check out some pianos and maybe play some tunes together :meh:

20. musicmansf

musicmansf

Jul 23, 2007
    San Francisco
    Screwing around with a Road King and not knowing what the hell all the volume controls added up to, forgot about the solo knob annnnnnnd shock. Yeah, you know how those Boogie bass cabs are pretty f'in loud? Well...so are the guitar cabs hehe...I retreated to the bass room where I belong :bag: