Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stupid tuning question

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by chadrock, Dec 22, 2004.

1. chadrock

chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    Hey, I got a question for ANYONE out there w/ a little advice. I play in a band where the guitar is tuned to the equivalent of a 'dropped d', the problem being the low string is a Bb, and everything follows accordingly from there. Rather than tune my bass to match (to escape the muddiness of it all) I have learned to play our songs in a different position, tuned A-D-A-D-G(five string equivalent to dropped d). Lately I've had some problems (as far as new songs are concerned) and was curious if ANYONE had ideas as far as a new tuning scheme, or involving different basses or effects that could help me. My bass is a piece............ a fender mb-5, so I realize I may need something new. Any advice for my current sitch?

2. Not sure if this is the most ideal forum for this question, but anyway...

What is the guitar tuning? If I understand you correctly, it's Bb F Bb Eb G C (down two whole tones, lowest string dropped a further whole tone). That's an awfully low tuning for a guitar, but again, anyway...

If that is the case, why not tune your bass Bb F Bb Eb Ab? This is a semitone higher than standard tuning, except with the B-string dropped by a whole tone. This should actually sound less muddy than your current tuning.

3. chadrock

chadrock

Dec 22, 2004
    yes, that does seem to make alot of sense......initially, I decided to start w/ that tuning because it was convenient, it is my other bands' tuning. would a different gauge string help w/ the higher action when using your suggested tuning?????

4. The best way to correct the higher action is by giving your bass a proper setup, or having a tech do it for you.