Stupid tuning question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insomnia_Junkie, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I realize this questions is extremely noobish but recently I needed to tune down my bass half a step Eb Ab Db Gb I have no problem tuning the A, D, and G strings but when it try and tune my E string my tuner just goes to D and not an Eb. Should I be tunbing it to D instead of Eb or what? thanks :)
  2. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Your tuner may show D# which of course would be what you want. If not, you'll have to tune the E manually. No problem there right? :D
  3. no it just goes from E to D to Db but I hate tuning manually unless I can refer to the tuner (ie hold the 5th fret and if it says etc. ect.)
  4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    Are you sure it's not flying by Eb?

Lower strings tune/detune quicker per turn of the tuning gear than the higher strings, so sometimes it seems like it jumps notes.
    Try going to D, then veerrryyy slowly tuning up.
    (Also, some tuners just suck.)

My two cents are spent.
  5. nope it goes from E to D# to D and there are no flats, which makes me wonder how I tuned it down in the first place :confused:
  6. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Good God Man! D#=E flat OK?
    Good lord, somebody give me a G!
    It took me a long time to even trust tuners, much less use them. Now that I've deemed them worthy, they sure are convenient.
    Learn to do it well manually.
    7th fret octave tuned to the next lower string 5th fret octave.
    Piece of cake. You know what to listen for right?
    That would make a good topic: How many ways are there to tune a bass? :)
  7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    tune to Gb Db Ab with the tuner and compare the Eb manually by using the harmonic on the 5th fret. Compare that harmonic with the harmonic on the 7th fret of the Ab. If they match, your string is tuned to Eb.

Same thing if you want it back to E, just check with the A string if your tuner is failing. Good luck.

Oh, here's a link that might help you;
  8. That would make a good topic: How many ways are there to tune a bass? :)[/QUOTE]

Anyway you can and be in tune with the band, :bassist: