1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stupid **** your boss said to you this week.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mooch, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Mooch

Mooch

Jan 1, 2009
    MN
    Had to post this because I almost walked out of it. To make a long story short I a group of machines that cut metal a laser and 2 punch machines, also a press brake and welding. There are 2 of us that split this work to get it all done because we can't be in a million spots at once.

Well the other guy had some project for "2 days" and I was on my own trying to do 2 peoples jobs. I was supposed to get help but someone called in for the week so no help.

Today after being very far behind my boss says "why are you behind"(that's not the dumb thing) I say "because I haven't had a bit of help this week."

So he says to me" well John Smith(not real name but other guy I work with) gets it done when your gone", so I retort with, "well he gets help, what do you expect." With that he walks away and I feel totally insulted and wanna find him and knock him out.

He then asks John Smith "How come you get all this done when he's(me) gone?" John says "because I get help!"

People sure do have a good idea what's going on and what it takes from behind a desk don't they.

Had to vent.

Mooch

2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    boss-from-office-space.

3. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Well, as the sole CNC prgrammer in a Sheet Metal Fab shop http://www.stilesdoors.com/ I can chime in here.

Many shop owners in this day and age are concerned with one and only one thing, getting product out the door to bring in cash.

Dont get me wrong, i am not defending him but that is just how many shop owners think. Sounds pretty crappy man but if you can operate lasers and presses then you should be able to find a better working environment.

Or you could do what I did, learn to program and move into the office ( I ran an Amada laser for 2 years).

Good luck!!!!

4. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Also, people who dont run these machines think you just load in a sheet of steel and press start and can walk away. They have no idea how bitchy these machines are lol. They need constant babysitting.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    OK, I'll vent a little.... unfortunately this is par for the course with Boss #2

I have 4 layers of management that I work fairly close with. #1 = right above me; #2 = his boss; #3 = my Boss's Boss's Boss; #4 = VP of most of the departments I interact with.

#1 is a friend and a cool guy to work for... very hands on and skilled. Monday he was busy as usual doing stupid reports for #2. I work in a big room with #1 and #2. #3 and #4 are just outside my room.

I generally work Systems stuff, but Monday to cover the 2 main Network guys who were out, I was running the Network side of things. Without getting too detailed; since Thursday last week 2 of our major voice carriers to India were compromised and taken out of routes as per the carrier AND my internal Network Engineering department. I realized this was sitting all weekend and being Monday and traffic was ramping up that the other paths to India were about to hit critical congestion. I reached out to both carriers that were out, alerted the more technical people in the NetEng department and things were moving along.

Boss #3 (also a pretty cool guy) comes in around 9:30am and asks for an overview of the situation, jotted some notes and thanked me for getting the ball moving and running with it. Boss #1 stops by and gives me a nod (he brought me in on his shift to help him kickbutt and acknowledges when I do).

Somewhere around 2pm Boss #2 (who was in the room for the morning visit by #3) bursts into the room in a panic wanting to know what the heck is up with India because he just got blindsided by Boss #4!!!??!

As stated, Boss #2 is in the room with my team AND a participant in a majority of the conversations / issues. On this day at least 2 times he was briefed on updates to what I was working by both myself AND Boss #1.

:rolleyes:

What floors me is he left for a better job and somehow months later got hired back :(

To vent further... we rely on email for a majority of our inter department communication. He constantly replies to emails in the middle of threads asking questions or demanding actions already answered/performed later in the email threads :rolleyes:

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I'm fortunate to work in a small factory that has an intelligent owner and informed management who understand how things work and also how people work. In my 14 years at my current job I haven't had to deal with someone standing over my shoulder making idiotic suggestions or asking stupid questions.

But I once worked in a textile factory that had the most moronic people running it and I have more amazing stories about that place in the 2 months that I worked there than in every job I've ever had over 25 years.

A few examples:

1) The supervisor couldn't figure out why we were chronically short on fabric with a job that always used fabric from a foreign supplier. She began to accuse employees of stealing giant rolls of fabric without anyone seeing ( :rollno: ) and invented even more ludicrous explanations for the shortage.

One day she had a meeting with several employees (I was one of them) to try to figure it exactly how much cloth was disappearing and where it was going. We all listened to her in astonishment as she converted metric into U.S. measurement (that was the only cloth that we bought in metric) and calculated it backwards. When someone pointed out that it was her mathematical error that was producing the "shortage" she denied it and insisted that her calculations were correct and we should not get sidetracked and keep trying to solve the problem. That was the least productive meeting I've ever witnessed. :D

2) There is a machine that cuts fabric into narrow strips so it can be spooled up and sold. When I started working there I was put on the machine and shown how to use it. I'd actually worked on a machine very similar to it at a previous job and I quickly saw that the machine wasn't working properly. It was supposed to cut 5 strips at a time but some of the parts were worn out on the machine and it was only able to cut two strips at a time.

I spent about 25 hours a week on this machine for the first three weeks until I found out that there were spare parts for the machine in the cabinet and the parts are designed to be easily replaceable by the user. In 5 minutes I had the machine working properly and it effectively more than doubled productivity and cut waste in half. But only for 2 weeks.

The supervisor noticed that the machine was cutting 5 strips at a time instead of only 2 and I told him what I did to fix it. He actually got angry at me and told me that it wasn't up to the workers to "tinker with things you don't understand". I told him that I understood that and certainly agreed (I was trying to be respectful) but that I actually did have experience with machines just like it and they are supposed to be easily serviced by the workers who use them. He then said that I was not allowed to do anything but the exact job I was told to do and nothing more. The next week, I noticed that someone had actually taken off the new parts and put the old worn out parts back on and it was back to cutting only 2 strips at a time.

I decided then that I would go out looking for a new job and a week later I found one and immediately quit working for these clowns.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    My boss lectured me that all economist are wrong and quality = quantity. For an hour.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Did you tell him that Maki would disagree?

9. Can you get those tps reports in by the end of the day?

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, um, Im gonna need you to come in on Saturday...

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

Hahaha, should have...

So, it's kinda funny...

With my boss it's fairly easy, you don't have to disagree/agree. This guy manages tech support that has to troubleshoot different networks and our devices all day long. All our boxes are based on Linux, we deal will all sorts of networks and all sorts of network devices, cisco, AD, bunch of different firewalls plus our own stuff... So pretty technical job. This guy doesn't know how to restart windows. He really manages this like you would manage a fast food restaurants. Fixing someones network or troubleshooting devices is like fixing a burger to him. Not a good burger either, if you make a burger in 20 seconds, it's way better then if you make a burger in 1 minute... Never mind that the one you made in 20 seconds is still frozen, quality = quantity.

Anyway, you just start randomly putting in technical terms into the conversation, and each time he gets a blank look on his face and he just repeats the term you said with a wise voice. You know

Me: "well, their ACLs are wrong, so WCCP is not redirecting traffic to us"
    Him: "ooohh WCCPs problems, fix traffics..."

So, you do enough of that he just basically stops talking because he has nothing to say as he has no idea whats going on. He just seats there with blank look.

I am very tempting on throwing some terminology that does not exist. Like tell him Flux capacitor on cisco ASA died.

12. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Did you tell him that this would make quality just as important as quantity?

13. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    "Your upgrade didn't go through."

I wasn't holding my breath... :rolleyes:

14. "G'day Mate"

Yeah right....

15. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I walk into work today and my boss says "what did you do to my computer?" I'm like what, I don't touch your fn computer in my head, I'm like what is wrong with it, he says my email and and everything doesn't work and they computer said it has updates, he goes off on how i could have screwed up his computer.. the idiot didn't log in as himself...
    I swear the guy needs to watch baby genius dvds or something :)

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My boss is in Spain this week. I'm expecting a **** storm once he gets back.

17. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    1. When are you going to buy your Porche? (on a conf call)
    2. Atta boy kid (in an email to 20 coworkers)

I've met my boss 7 times in 1.5 years and we talk 3 times a month if that. I'm reallly not complaining other than I have gotten the E-crap beat out of me by my coworkers now calling me "Kid" and 'Porche boy" in 90 emails a day.

ps...I will never buy a porche.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    screw dumb bosses, look what dumb customers say...

Customer: "so yesterday, i plug cable in and i see no network lights, so today i plug another cable in and it works fine, i tested the first cable and it was bad.... is there any requirements for cables that ***** has?"

So, cable was broken? Requirements is cable that work? How do i tell it to customer with out sounding like a ..........

EDIT: Company name removed - Probably shouldn't put my company name there, in case he searches for the name of the company and sees this... :D

19. My *boss* is my wife.
    Stupid stuff she has said:
    'Are you done?'
    'STOP'
    'I don't remember passing out'
    She's really rather amusing. :)

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think that is a legitimate question. A Cat3 network cable WILL work with a 1000BASE-T network for basic/minor traffic. But start hammering it with full duplex file transfers and you are going to have crippling packet loss.

I'm sure the customer simple wants the fix to be a fix... not a work around.