Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stupidest newbie question ever.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by carlos_07, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Hello all,

I'm having trouble with my epiphone EB 0, whenever I play any note there is quite a loud buzzing noise around the bridge area.
    It's a short scale, and the round wound strings seem to 'fray' at the end, the frayed bits actually lay on the bridge, I wondered if this is the problem?

Sometimes the buzzing seems to come and go, but this can change from miute to minute.
    The intonation is good and the strings arent touching the freatboard as I first thought.

So:

Does anyone have any suggestions how to sort this?
    I was wondering if there are such thing as short scale strings?
    If I buy flatrounds do they frey towards the ballend?

Please help me!! Thanx.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    it can't help, that's for sure. Lots of makers sell medium and short scale strings. On an EB-0, medium scale is your best bet.

3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Check to see that there is no room for side-to-side movement in the slots on your nut. This fooled me for a while on a p-bass that I had. I thought at first that the vibration was occurring somewhere on the body. Had a new nut cut to cure the problem.

Ken

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    are the strings pressed properly down at the bridge?

5. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    On my Epiphone EB-0, I found that the bridge saddles were vibrating, causing a buzzing like you describe. The design of the bridge means that they're held slightly above the baseplate of the bridge by the intonation screws. I got round it by padding underneath the saddles with small bits of folded up paper.

6. BWil

BWil

May 16, 2005
    SoCal USA
    Heavy gauge roundwounds just aren't suited to these basses, but that's what they come with. I have an Epi EBO and a Gibson SG RI. They both buzzed despite "factory" setups. I switched to 45-100 halfrounds, adjusted the bridge and truss rods and no more buzz.

The ball-end winding overlap on the bridge saddle is an unfortunate fact of life with the 3 point setup. It can be a pain to intonate, but otherwise it's not really a problem.