Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

STUPID'S GETTING MARRIED... oh wait, no I'm not... (wedding photography)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm a photographer right? But I don't really take pictures of people... I can, but I don't that often. But I have been offered a job as a Wedding photographer. One job deal, 600 bucks starting price.

I know there are a few photographers on here, Petebass even took some Wedding photos. So I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I need to buy a flash, other than that, do I need anything special.

I haven't found out all the info yet (what they want for prints, etc) but who knows, this might be an OK career for me. Not very artsy, but it would pay the bills. I figure, that with a mix of stock photography and bam, mucho bucks... o. The gig isn't for another year, so I've got time to prepare.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Take it seriously, the more professional you are, the more chance you have of getting future weddings.

Like, even if you don't do a great job, if you leave a great impression, then, before the wedding company even gets their prints back, they will be able to say to their guests "the photographer was REALLY great" ;)

oh yeah, you'll also probably want a good zoom, since you're not going to be able to get in the face of the to-be weds while they are doing some stuff.

having things like a light meter makes you look more professional too ;)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Light meter... what's that... uh oh. ;)

I have been meaning to invest in an "off camera" light meter and a zoom now that you mention it.

Despite all impressions, I can be professional, and plan on doing so at the wedding. I just need to finacially prepare myself... in order to get paid. (Hmmm, I sense this money thing works on some kind of Capitalistic loop.... ACK, not a political comment... NOT A POLITICAL COMMENT ;) )

I just want to buy my stuff and familiarize myself with it for quite some time before I jump into the warzone with it.... warzone...? NOT POLITICAL!

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On a side note: Instead of buying things to help my further my photo career, I bought a Digitech Synth pedal. :p

If I would have known $$photo jobs$$ were headed my way, I would have bought something a little more... worthwhile. ;) But it makes cool weird sounds... lets see a light meter do that!

Someone is actually offering to buy some of my stuff too. This is cool because I'm lazy about putting my work out, I think jobs should continue to fall into my lap. :D

5. Hire a B-camera operator (photography students are good for this) to take as many snapshots as possible. Sometimes they get good candid shots and they usually work cheap.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Actually, wedding photography is a lot harder then one might think at first.

Good equipment is a must!

A fast and a responsive camera to get those special moments. Good and fast lenses etc.

Usually, churches are not very well lit and if you are not using a flash, you will get very bad shutter speeds which will lead to both camera shake and motion blur. Granted, I do not know how much experience you have with cameras.

There are a thousand things that you have to think about when doing a wedding. Keep in mind that there is no second take and this is a once in a lifetime event for the couple in question.

There are many sites on the net dedicated to photography and wedding photography, go Google! :)

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Very true, cursed camera shake! How I loathe you. This is why a flash is a must for this. That is why I'm so scared to do this, like you said... once in a lifetime precious moments kinda thing. If I hand them a pile of crap, I'd feel worse than they would. But my mom said she'd buy me a flash if I did my brother's senior photos... I'm tellin' ya, they are falling in my lap! :D

At the wedding, one thing I want to do is try to get to know everyone, and take pictures not only of the bride and groom. Not just the wedding and the reception and the honeymoon. :eek: :D I want to get maybe enough pictures, and if they are willing to pay me more, to form an album for them. It would be so much work, but I'm sure it would turn out great.

I do plan on researching beyond talkbass, I just trust bassists before I trust anyone! :D

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    What kind of camera do you have?

I will be photographing my brothers wedding in a couple of weeks, I am armed with this:

Canon 300D/Rebel with Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash.
    [​IMG]

And for zoom I am getting the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L borrowed ->
    [​IMG]

With that equipment, I´m still nervous :)

Edit: That lens is a lot bigger than it looks, here is a pic of that lens with the 300d.

[​IMG]

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's what I meant by the light meter, getting an outboard one, it REALLY makes you look professional.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    that's a nice thing about photography gear, it's easily rented, so even if you don't have all this flashy gear, you can get some easy enough, just to spruce up a bit.