Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Basstyra, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I just finished a looper, and I think you'll be interested... :smug:

I needed a stutter function for my delay, before this i was doing this by quickly turning on and off my DD-6, which is... well, you know... :)

So I needed a stutter. But an ordinary stutter would not be ok for this : what interests me in doing that is the repeats of the short sound I put in the delay, and a stutter as does would just cut this repeats.

So I thought a lot about this, and some months ago, I went with the first idea : just stuttering the input (send), the output (return) is just added to the direct sound.

There was a problem, though... The mechanical momentary switch made noise when switching, noise that the delay would repeat. So I add to use a silenced switch. I started with the Boss switch, and after some work, here is the result :

To be honest, I just would never use a delay whitout this anymore. It's just... wonderfully helpful. And it has some nice features... Let me explain :

*First, the switch with the blue led is the traditionnal bypass, wired for true bypass. This makes the unit a simple looper, which is allready helpful. For example with my delay : I can use the tap tempo and I still can bypass the delay. Sweeeeeeet !

*The switch with the yellow led is the momentary switch. When pressed, it changes the state of the looper : dry or wet.

*The third switch reverses the "polarity" of the momentary switch. The released position of the momentary can be Dry or Wet, depending on the state of this third switch. Of course, the pressed position is accordingly Wet and Dry.

The yellow led is on when the loop is active.

*The manual switch allows to keep the dry sound, just adding the wet sound. That's a great and ridiculously easy addition !

So, this is an active looper, which allows to think of many interesting mods in the future. Boost, or just adjustable volume between dry and wet, comes quickly in mind, but there is much more to do I think.

There is a slight problem of overdrive with the Mosfet, but I will take care of this later. It's just occuring when I play too loud, it's a problem but it remains a detail for now.

Anyway, this is a GREAT stuff. I had this idea a while back, maybe 5 months ago, and I tell you, I'm really happy it's finally here !!! :hyper:

I'll post the schematic as soon as I can. I have to draw it (I mean, draw it clean...) first... :D

More (pics and french desciption) :
  2. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    That sounds awesome man, Nice job. Pretty simple design too, I like it alot!
  3. Thats a fantastic idea. Now I gotta remember to put a stutter on the loooper I get...
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounclips utilizing this with a DD-6? I've been toying with that idea as well.
  5. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Oh, yes, I'll do this right now. And I'll try to draw the schematic as well.

See you later... ;)

EDIT : OK, there it is !!

Please be indulgent, I made this quickly, and I don't control it perfectly yet.

I have to be honest, this is just an accessory, but I'm re-discovering my delay. I finally can use it as I always wanted. Why on earth did I wait sooo long to do this ???
  6. Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Anyone got those pics, sample and schematic saved on their HD's? Linkies not workie anymore... :(
  7. anyone know of any other loopers that have a momentary function? I really like throwing in intermittent blasts of full on distortion or flange into ambient passages and it's a real pain to have to click on/click off to achieve it.
  8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It would be a pretty easy thing to build yourself; or , for those that don't DIY, Barge could easily add that feature to one of their loopers as a custom request.
  9. what skills would be necessary to build such a device? i have really no electrical know-how to speak of....

it would be really cool to build one myself though....
  10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If we're just talking about a stutter switch, with no other features, you don't need any real know-how. You can buy a momentary footswitch at a good hardware store; just drill three appropriate-sized holes in a project box, install the footswitch, and install a couple of 1/4" jacks. Connect the "sleeve" (ground) tabs of the jacks to the "always on" tab of the switch. Then connect the tip (hot) tabs of the jacks to each of the momentary connection tabs of the switch. Done! No battery required.
  11. sounds easy enough, and yet, still quite hard.... :confused:

i just want to make a loop thats true bypass (if possible) and has a momentary switch on it to connect the pedal(s) in the chain to my signal path. a stutter loop then i guess it would be called? i dont imagine this would be much harder that what you described....