1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stuttering with Fuzz and Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Justinvs, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Hi all;

I have a pretty basic pedal set up and share it between my bass and guitar, so I try to keep it simple, which also means as many mini pedals as I can use. Recently I added an Ammon Distortion mini (Rat clone) and a Donnor Fuzz mini. I really like both pedals, but noticed when I engage them both I get a stuttering effect. I need to play around with settings and placement, but just wonder if anyone else ever had this happen with fuzz and distortion engaged?

2. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Two questions
    - most important: does it sound cool? Leave it!
    - do you intend to use one to boost the other, or use both every time, or what? less important if it sounds cool =0)

It could be just the peaks and valleys of the clipping lining up in an unexpected way, though, which your experimentation will adjust, but SOMEtimes two pedals just don't like each other. My BAssmaster and Beta OD didn't play well due to phase inversion, for instance.

3. :
    :)
    Sadly it sounds like cr*p, so I need to move things around. Or, like you say, just don't turn both on at once.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Is the RAT clone second in the signal chain? RATs don't like hot input...they tend to fart out. Perhaps the Donner one doesn't like hot, gainy signals as well.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  5. Now that you mention it, the rat clone is last in line, right after the fuzz. I'll try reversing th eorder and see what happens.

Thanks!

mattbass6945 likes this.
  6. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I regularly stack multiple dirt pedals, but have never experienced any "stuttering".

Seems like you might be clipping the input on one of the pedals? Perhaps posting a sound clip would be helpful :thumbsup:

7. Swapped the order around last night of my Distortion and Fuzz, putting the Rat clone first. Seemed to do the trick. Also discovered that when I plug my mandolin into the board and turned everything on I can get some of the strangest feedback you've ever heard! ;)

rratajski likes this.