Style of the Yellow Jackets, Karizma, Urban Knights etc

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 'JC', Dec 1, 2004.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Not sure where to post this but:

I like playing prog rock (Rush, Dream Theater) and whatever you would classify Dave Matthews as. I listen to a variety of stuff though. I recently started listening to (mostly) the Yellow Jackets after someone told me they want to start a band in a similar style, as well as Karizma.

Not what I expected, but cool stuff nonetheless.

Anyway I play a fretted 4. I've been hearing fretless 5 string stuff on some of the songs. I could probably comp some of that stuff up an octave, but think that would ruin some of the sound.

I'm also not familiar with how some of these songs are constructed.

My dilema is this: Should I agree to play with this group based on my situation? Would you? Again I'm not sure what these basslines follow or how they're constructed. Traditional jazz is my weak point, and I've started taking lessons again just for the theory aspect of it.

Any advice?

Keep in mind I like to be challenged and want to play in a group again, but don't want to bring them down if I can't keep up.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Playing Yellowjackets style of music takes a whole different mindset! In terms of chops, these guys are so far ahead many musicians and have the ability to go in any direction at any time. To pull it off, everybody has got to be on the same page. If even one person ain't into it, may as well give it up! IMO
  3. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Eh, you can do it, just keep flexible and have an open mind.
  4. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Go to the local used CD store and pick up some Yellow Jacket stuff and keep listening to it over and over and over.Take the
    gig and push yourself,push hard,pretend like your life depends on it,pretend your next paycheck depends on it. Push yourself
    harder that you have ever done in the past.Think and act like
    a Pro.You can do it. :)