Style & String Count, what's your's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by txmulletrocker, May 19, 2005.

1. So obviously players playing a particular style generaly use the same number of strings, or at least close to the same. Has anyone else noticed this? I used to think that the more complex players played 6 Stringers and higher, and only played funk, UNTIL I started listening to people like Les Claypool, Jaco, and Flea. I have always played rock, and always played 4s. My band, The Flipside(, shameless plug ;) ), just got out of the studio and our producer made me use a 5'er on several parts. I was very suprised with what it added.

What kind of music do you play, and how many strings do you prefer? :eyebrow:
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Jazz, funk, new-agey stuff with a piano player friend of mine. I play four strings. It's home to me. Played 6 briefly, didn't like it much at all.
  3. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    4s and 5s on classic rock, blues, oldies and folk type stuff.

I like flats!
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Jazz/funk fusion mostly .... recently, some contemporary Christian stuff ..... play 6ers only, both fretted and fretless :cool:
  5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

Dude, look at all the different basses jazz players use.

It depends much more on the player,
    Yeah, there are some basses that go better with some styles (like I wouldn't like muting 12 strings when only playing root + fifth all the time - though OTOH, I don't think I'd play just 1-5 :p )
  6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Jazz,hip-hop,funk kinda blend. My basses are all 5's and 6's feel kinda naked on a four, plus I'm doing some Christian music and believe me, you'd better have a B string to deal with all those keyboards :) .
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'll play just about anything, from teenybopper pop to thrash. My favorite styles to play are jazz and rock, but I don't really care what I'm playing, so long as I'm playing. From Abba to Zyklon, I'll give it a shot.

I'm a born again 4-stringer. I started on a 4 (at age 15), switched to a 5 (at age 17), went to a 6 (at age 25), and I'm back to a 4 and nowadays 5-6 string necks feel big and cumbersome to me. I feel more confident and more able to express myself on a 4. At a jam session the other day my housemate noticed a jump in my skill and confidence when I switched from my sixer to another person's 4. (NOTE: I didn't have my 4-string with me for the aforementioned jam session since it's in Giarmo's shop getting a setup, so the only bass I had on hand was my 6.)

The 4-string feels like home to me. The neck on my 6-string used to feel really good, but once I started shedding on a 4-string again, that was it. It felt liberating to be rid of the excess strings.

I love ERBs, I love what they are capable of, and I'm always floored by what they can do in the hands of skilled musicians (i.e. Al Caldwell, Jauquo III-X, John Patitucci, John Myung, and many many others) but 4 strings is all I, Dincrest, really need.

EDIT: I listened to some of your music. Sounds like you have a lot of fun with it.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Most kinds of rock, along with Motown/R&B, blues, funk, punk, country/western.

Since Y2K I've been playing 5-stringers exclusively.
  9. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    I play whatever takes my fancy (which is, admittedly, usually rock of some flavour). That's nothing to do with my invariable choice of four strings, which is because I'm clumsy and easily confused, so four makes life easier!

I hasten to add that's not why I play bass "instead of" guitar. Geetars have absolutely no interest to me except perhaps as art or listening to Fast Eddie weaving around Lemmy's Ricky.
  10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
  11. Yea, but how many rock players do you see with 6s & 7s?, and how many gospel players do you see with 4s?, almost none. I would venture to say that Jazz is the only exception, and even at that there are not really THAT many Jazz players that play 4s, at least compared with the ones that play 6s & up.

I would asume, using context clues, that ERBs would be axes with more than the "classic" 4 strings, but that is a total guess. What does it mean?
  12. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i play generally prog rock and i use a 4 string
  13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When I play jazz, I use a four.
    When I play rock, I use a four.
    When I play funk, I use a four.
    When I play prog, I use a four.
    When I play punk, I use a four.

Who wants to buy me a sixer?
  15. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Oh sorry. ERB= Extended Range Bass. Most people use ERB to refer to basses with 6 or more strings. Whether one considers a 5-string an ERB is limbo. Some consider them ERBs since they go beyond the range of a traditional 4 while others don't since they've become more mainstream.
  16. Aaaahhh, I learn somthing new every day.

I think I would consider 5ers ERBs. If you really think about it, even though they only add 5 notes, those 5 notes are an entire octave lower than the ones you have on a 4. Try playing a hard hitting D on a 4, then try it on the low D on a 5 and tell me they aren't ERBs. :bassist:
  17. Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    Hard rock/NWOBHM style metal - 4 strings. I'm thinking about picking up a cheapish 5 for experimentation & studio use, but not thinking about it too hard :)

plug: --CRASHLANDER--

18. I play a 4-string, mostly metal/rock. Besides that I also love to play classical stuff, and I would like to get a 6-string some day.
  19. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    aahhh, g'wan and pigeonhole me!!!
    i mostly play jazz and blues, mostly on a conklin GT-7.
    OTOH, i do like to bring in my ibanez artcore 4 on jazz, 'cuz it has a wonderful upright sound.
    also OTOH, i first got and used my 7 inna rock band.
    go fig.
    my 7 sits more comfy under my hands than my 4, i have more options, positionally, and it's a more stable instrument.
    that's just me.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play contemporary Christian and praise & worship music on 4, 5, and 6 string fretted and fretless basses.

I play Christian rock on 4, 5, 6 and 12 string fretted and fretless basses.

I used to play oldies on 4, 5, 6 and 12 string fretted and fretless basses.

But I mostly play 5 string fretted and fretless basses.