1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Styx

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassguitarthund, Jan 15, 2012.

1. So was just flipping thru the channels on a comercial brake. They had some figure skating thing on with Styx performing live (I have never been into figure skating, add pucks and stick then I am in)!! Anyways I see that they had to bassist. Is this something new with them. I did not know that they had to bassist?

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Chuck Panozzo, the only bass player is a "some-time" member. Due to health reasons and humanitarian obligations, he isn't available to tour full-time. But he comes on for a song or two whenever he can.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
  4. it was pretty cool to see two bassist rocking on stage at the same time!!!

edit: sorry gjbassist!! Was a quick impulse post. Just shocked to see what I saw and had to share with you all,lol!!

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Im so glad they got rid of that prancing D-bag. I think Lawrence is an outstanding replacement for DeYoung. I have a renewed interest in them since they replaced him...and having Ricky Phillips on bass helped too ;) I dig his work.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    In DVD's I've seen, Ricky Phillips (and before him, Glen Burtnick) switched to guitar when Chuck came on to play bass.

The keyboard player is Lawrence Gowan. He has been with them for quite a while. He's good, but his stage personna doesn't do it for me.

7. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    Saw Styx last year: they put on a good show. Is Ricky Phillips the same cat that played bass for The Babys?

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yes!
    Their drummer Todd Sucherman is a beast!

9. Their "Behind the Music" today. Was interesting. Was sorry to hear that Chuck has been battling HIV for sometime.

They really make DeYoung look bad. I guess I always thought Mr Roboto was about as pure cheese as it got.... turns out most of the band thought so, too.