Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sub $1.8k 5-String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SirFunk, Jul 28, 2005.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi there. I'm just curious as to all the talk-bassers opinions on a sub $1.8k 5-string bass. I play mostly funky/jazzy/hiphoppy/jam-bandy music I'm looking for something with a good slap tone a nice punchy low end, but something that will still have a nice clean, agile, high end for the occasional solo.

Right now my top 2 choices are:

Fender Marcus Miller V

and Tobias Killer B 5

My Bass teacher recommended me the Tobias. That's the bass he has, i'm not sure if his is pre-gibson though. The Fender was recommended by a few other people.. I'd like know what you guys think of these, and if you have any other ideas.

(I know the best way is to try it myself, but i live in the middle of nowhere, so prettymuch anything i buy will be sight un-seen :meh: )

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i don,t know but am interesting in how this Tobias(Gibson era) sounds,i see couple of htem in the bay a nice price,i believe they don,t sond like the Pre Gibson era but maybe they can sound and play very well,who knows?

3. EB Stingray 5.....best value under 2 grand hands down, other than maybe a Lakland Skyline 55-02

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin's got the slap thing down, as well as crisp high-end. But their customer service is slooooow.

edit: For that price, an sray would probably rock.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall AB1

6. Spector USa bolt on series basses have a killer slap tone and are super affordable considering the quality.On the NS-JH5's you get a sinlge coil in the neck and a splitable humbucker (2 single coils working in tandem actually)

These things cover alot of ground sonically.A used one can be a great value.

THe Music Man basses are good for the money too. I don't personally like them but alot of guys do.So atleast try some to see how you like them.

I owned 2 Carvin basses and wont be owning any more. All I can say is mediocre electronics and unstable necks. I was super dissapointed in them and Carvin doesn't care alot.I thought both Carvins sounded much better in passive mode than they did in active mode. I had better luck with Ibanez sound gear basses even though they appear to be of lesser quality than Carvin.

Lastly, I have seen some very nice Zon Sonus 5's on ebay for 1800.00 They are killer basses as long as you don't mind the sound of graphite. It lacks some of the character of wood but makes up for it in increased clarity and definition. Atleast, I feel it does after owning a few and comparing them to many , many basses. Not easy to find these basses though.

7. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    I should have mentioned I have a Carvin now (LB70p)... I HATE IT.. well not hate, it's been pretty reliable, but the near flat neck radius is really uncomfortable for me.

Hmm.. those look really nice, and the price is good.. I don't know if I would find the fanned fret thing comfortable really.

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    No one's mentioned a Bongo yet either.

9. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    I've been looking at the other MusicMan's I'm not so sure that any of them would suit me.... no neck pickup!

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Then you haven't been looking lately...they've put out 2 pickup models now. Well in this pricerange.

11. Yea, you beat me to it Burningskies. The first time I tried out a bongo, I thought it was OK, but the second time I picked one up I developed a very mature appreciation for it overall. It can do what you need it to do.

12. As has been stated already, you can now order them with dual Humbuckers or a Humbucker/ Single coil configuration.......super cool, but I prefer my Ray' as is.

13. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Oh yeah, sorry, i never noticed them... i think they look hideous :) but i'll consider it.

Nobody has any opinions on the Tobias or MM5?

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occasionally you'll find a used Lakland 55-94 (US made) in the $1500 - 1800 range. Great bass but, like Stingray 5s, they're not for everybody.

Riis

15. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Check out the Peavey Cirrus. Almost impossible to beat for the price! Fantastic tone, build quality, customer service etc.
    Do a search here on TB and you'll see tons of great comments about them. They're also well within your price range.
    Just my thoughts having owned four of them.

16. +1
    Couldn't agree more!!!

17. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Before buying a Fender, I would try to locate a used Sadowsky or a Metro, if is "worth it..."

Ha!

No, seriously, I vote for the Marcus Miller or a Lakland Skyline. They both mix classic funky vintage tones with modern ones.

Before buying a 5-string, make sure you understand the difference between "narrow" 5s (less than 3/4" spacing between strings at the bridge) and regular 5s, which have 3/4" spacing, which is the same as a 4-string (comfortable for slapping).

Examples:

Narrow: Spector, StingRay 5, Zon
    Regular: Lakland, Fender

Lastly:

Tobias: good choice too, but will not really have a vintage or classic tone.

StingRay5: they have a very unique tone and are not completely versatile. Very active sounding -- not my liking.

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hey SirFunk, as probably you know I have a 5-string Bongo with two humbuckers and piezo bridge. I recorded some sound samples from it for sharing with the TB community. If you want, I can post them again. I recorded several clips with different EQs (from the bass. Nothing tweaked using the computer). The only flaw (aside from the performances) is that my bass needed a setup when I did these recordings (I was so excited about them) and there's a noticeable fret buzz. Aside from that, I think these are good examples for you to judge. Just let me know.

19. I'll double the comment for a Dingwall ABI bass.
    Great slap tone, great playability, and I guarentee you'll have NO problem w/ the fanned fretboard.

It'll take you longer to read this post than it will to feel comfortable on the bass
    frank

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    True. Less than a minute to get the feel of them. If it's a solid color AB1, it's be sub $1500. If it's got nice wood, add a few hundred and you're still under $1800. Either way you'll only find a few other basses in that price range that sound or feel as good...and you won't find ANY that'll turn heads as much.

I'm currently working towards my next fan-fret 5 string, and it's looking like $4K+ for what I want.