Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sub-$200 XLR out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Starwind, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    I quit bass-playing for a while, before that, the only good budget thing with XLR out I know was Sansamp BDDI. After read some magazines recently, I found that there seems to be much more choices.

DI like BBE-100x, inexpensive bass head Behringer BX3000T , even pedal effect like Punch Factory has a XLR out.

Is BDDI still the best choice when you need a XLR out ability?

My current setup is a Tobias Toby-Pro 5, a small 30w 8" combo amp for monitoring, lined out from combo amp to main PA system.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
  3. Or the Hartke VXL - Very Cheap.

4. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    l.r. baggs para acoustic DI
    Fishman Bass DI
    Aphex optical compressor
    Aphex bass exciter

There are lots of choices.

I like the baggs.

danman

5. Starwind

Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    Can you talk more about the products besides the name? or if there're any review of these DI/effects online, please tell me the link. Thank you very much.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the MXR DI+. It features a preamp with a distortion switch (not OD, mind you, but straight "fuzzy" distortion, which I have no use for, personally). The distortion section features separate coloring, gain, a distortion mix adjustment, etc)

You can color your tone without engaging the distortion, however, as there are bass, mid and treble adjustments (one of each). For my own personal tastes, I don't care for the manner in which this pedal colors my tone on any of my basses. It's purely subjective, which is why it's difficult for me to give you a black and white description of why, exactly, I don't care for the tone, but I'll just say that the end result is a tone which seems somewhat sterile and vanilla when set the way I normally like my tone settings (bass and treble boost; mid cut some). Compared to my Fodera 2000 pedal (which, SADLY, possesses no DI :( ), it is terribly lacking in the more "modern" tone that I like (especially for slap).

It is well constructed - encased in metal with rubber-coated knobs and it features 2 1/4" outputs and an XLR out. I use it strictly for an uncolored XLR.

Please note that my tonal tastes may differ radically from yours and you may, indeed, like it. I would actually like to trade mine for the Hartke, which you can find new for $79.00 on ebay every now and then. I'll let someone else review that one, though. :D