sub-$200 XLR out

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Starwind, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    I quit bass-playing for a while, before that, the only good budget thing with XLR out I know was Sansamp BDDI. After read some magazines recently, I found that there seems to be much more choices.

DI like BBE-100x, inexpensive bass head Behringer BX3000T , even pedal effect like Punch Factory has a XLR out.

Is BDDI still the best choice when you need a XLR out ability?

My current setup is a Tobias Toby-Pro 5, a small 30w 8" combo amp for monitoring, lined out from combo amp to main PA system.
  2. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    l.r. baggs para acoustic DI
    Fishman Bass DI
    Aphex optical compressor
    Aphex bass exciter

There are lots of choices.

I like the baggs.

3. Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    Can you talk more about the products besides the name? or if there're any review of these DI/effects online, please tell me the link. Thank you very much.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the MXR DI+. It features a preamp with a distortion switch (not OD, mind you, but straight "fuzzy" distortion, which I have no use for, personally). The distortion section features separate coloring, gain, a distortion mix adjustment, etc)

You can color your tone without engaging the distortion, however, as there are bass, mid and treble adjustments (one of each). For my own personal tastes, I don't care for the manner in which this pedal colors my tone on any of my basses. It's purely subjective, which is why it's difficult for me to give you a black and white description of why, exactly, I don't care for the tone, but I'll just say that the end result is a tone which seems somewhat sterile and vanilla when set the way I normally like my tone settings (bass and treble boost; mid cut some). Compared to my Fodera 2000 pedal (which, SADLY, possesses no DI :( ), it is terribly lacking in the more "modern" tone that I like (especially for slap).

It is well constructed - encased in metal with rubber-coated knobs and it features 2 1/4" outputs and an XLR out. I use it strictly for an uncolored XLR.

Please note that my tonal tastes may differ radically from yours and you may, indeed, like it. I would actually like to trade mine for the Hartke, which you can find new for $79.00 on ebay every now and then. I'll let someone else review that one, though. :D