Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougray, Sep 25, 2005.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    pros & cons of the musicman sub 5 bass,local music store has one with ernieball hardshell case.$549
  2. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Thats regular price if I'm not mistaken... Anyway, thats how i picked mine up (price w/ case new). But I've been greatly dissappointed in mine honestly. I thought i'd be getting the string ray for only half the price. If its stingray you want, get a stingray. The sub only has a 2 band eq, and 1 volume. It is indeed active. It just doesn't feel good to me, I don't know why. I love the neck, but theres just something about the bass I don't really like.
    Conlcusion: If you want a stingray tone- save up and buy a used one.
  3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I am very happy with mine.
    The 2-band EQ on the active SUB is the "classical" StingRay EQ.
    And yes it sounds the same as an old Ray, but with the extra low B string.
    The global finish and wood selection are somewhat inferior to those of a Ray, but overall this bass is a killer deal.
    Just have to keep in mind that the EQ is boost only, and only on lows and highs. That of a Ray 5 is cut and boost over 3 bands.
  4. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    $549 is not the regular price for these. They're usuall 650-750.

I think they're cool. They really do sound like a Stingray, except with 5 strings. The "Stingray 5" is very cool, but doesn't sound like a classic stingray.

2-band EQ? Many argue that preamp actually sounds better than the one in the 3-band Stingray.

If the particular instrument you're looking at plays good, that sounds like a heck of a lot of american-made bass to be getting for not much money.
  5. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    It doesnt have the same electronics as a "real" Stingray 5 (3 band active and coil selector switch) But the electronics are the sams as on the 2-band Rays you can buy today which some people prefer
  6. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I have an SR 5, and I played a SUB 5 at a local shop, seemed nice, but it didn't have the same feel that my 'Ray has, it felt uncomfortable for me. But that's my hands, try both and see what feels and sounds better to you.

7. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i did some looking around on the net and found that price at the store is lowest i seen,the biggest complaint i see so far is the electronics,i will probably change out to an aguilar setup.
    man i wish i would have had the salesman get it down so i could jam on it,but the store was closing.i plan to go back and check it out and compare it to a stingray5,thanx for replies.
  8. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Im very happy with my SUB 5, i think its fully got a stingray tone, although i havent played one in a while, the neck is absolutely lush (being graphite) and the B comes through nicely on the humbucker, its just a bigger version of a stingray 4.. ;)
  9. The neck is -not- graphite.

It's finished in textured black and is (to the best of my knowledge) maple.
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Damn, i swear i was told it was graphite
  11. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    for the $$ I think they are a great buy for a new american made 5 string. I paid $700.00 for mine. Kept it for a while but couldn't get along with the tone (more of a Fender Jazz / Precision person). Build quality was impressive and the B string was amazing for a 34" scale 5 string. I miss it sometimes but my MIA Jazz Bass Deluxe V is more than doing the job for me now. ;)
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Those cheeky salespeople, they'll say anything!
  13. jvb

Jul 11, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Has anyone compared the SUB and the Highway 1 basses? In Oz they are about the same price-point. I searched the forum but didn't find any direct comparisons.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would not compare a SUB5 to a Hughway 1. Highway 1's are American basses with Mexican parts. The SUB5 is All-American and it's are Ernie USA quality even if they aren't Stingray/Bongo complexity. Ebladeboil123, I'm thinking that the SUB may not hae been as comfortable to you because the SUB does not have a contoured body. The lack of contours and finish are two of the big reasons why the SUB is a cheaper bass. Although I currently have a Stingray5, I really liked the SUBs I have owned.
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've only had experiences with two SUBs. The first was a 4-string that I borrowed for a quick set. I wasn't expecting to play with the band, but they asked me to sit in for a while. I absolutely HATED that bass. The feel didn't do anything for me, and the tones were absolutely horrid. The second I've played was a 5, and despite the dead strings, and lack of a proper amp, I kinda like it. I actually do like the finish, too. I'd really like to hear how it sounds with my rig and some new strings, but I'd also really like to hear it strung E-C. I'm thinking that strung high, and maybe with a new pre, I'd really like the bass. It certainly isn't bad if you go into it planning to swap pickup/pre later on.