1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sub-bass, 808, drop bass amplification

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by powellmacaque, Apr 17, 2010.

1. I'm not sure if this belongs on this website, but I'm starting up a hip-hop/punk fusion band. Our keyboard player was thinking about using an electric kick pedal and a MIDI controller to utilize "bass drops" found in modern hip hop and metalcore, etc. We've noticed that his keyboard amp does a very poor job utilizing this sound and we're thinking of using a bass amp for this.

Any suggestions? Probably want SS with lots of headroom and very transparent speakers, correct?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    PA system with a good x-over, and some big subs. A bass amp won't be much better than a keyboard amp.

3. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I think RickenBoogie is right. You need Subs.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i don't know if i agree. usually i agree with ricken but i think a bass amp would be fine for such purposes. i'd get a decent sized cab, though, probably at least a 410 or 215. or if you want hi-fi, search on here for bill fitzmaurice, fearful, accugroove, and acme cabs. some you'd have to build yourself or have built, but they're not cost prohibitive unless you're looking at spending real cheap, and then i'd say get a 410 and an amp that can do at least 300w.