Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SUB for a Tribute?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    On an impulse, I went to a local GC and I saw a spotless, new, teal S.U.B. four for $349. I offered my Tribute L-2500 in trade and ended up paying only sales tax. That's pretty good, I thought, for a bass that regularly sells for $60-80 more than my old bass new. I took it home and put on new DR's on and it absolutely nailed the Stingray sound. With the treble up, this bass has enough sizzle to fry an egg! I think this will be a keeper, one of my biggest regrets ever was when I sold a Stingray that I bought around 1986 (just before Flea blew up) for $250, only to sell a month or so later. I know the SUB will never be worth what a Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray was, but at least it's got the sound and feel.

After I slapped it a bit, the fact that I no longer have a five really hit me. The only regular playing I ever do is at my church and that B string came in handy playing with piano and electronic keyboards. I still have my USA Peavey Millennium four with a D-tuner, so I do have extended range down to D. In real terms, I'm only missing a few notes, but I'm a bit anxious about my decision. Long term, I plan on getting a higher end five like a Valenti Jazz, should I trade and get a budget five, or wait until I can pick up a boutique level five?

2. I play in church too, but I've gone to exclusively five string because I am often sight reading, and easily confused!
    As to what to use-- if you can keep track of where you are with the d-tuner, it's probably enough, though it's often very effective with the five string to drop that low c or low b on the last verse!
    I've got the Tribute 2500, and it's my favorite bass, but the one I use the most in church, which makes the music director say, "that's the sound!," is my SX five-string jazz with Roto flats, and a foam mute. It's got a dry thumpy sound that never booms and is very clear in the mix. Your mileage may vary.
    Another alternative is to pick up a mexi Jazz V for about $250. off of ebay, and if you get your boutique bass you can sell it and get your money back.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I should not have swapped for the SUB. I am used to five strings and I swapped my basses and picked up a new USA Peavey Millennium Five string. This was a bass I had been eyeing for some time, so I guess I just got what I had wanted anyway. I guess all's well that ends well. :bassist: :hyper: :cool:

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    SUB's sell for $349? ***... my GC sells for like 800....

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You just have to hang around GC and catch them when they are overstocked.