1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sub gig tonight......er...um...what?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

So I get a call (from drummer friend) to sub for a band for a gig tonight. At the end of rehearsal, BL asks if anyone has longer XLR's! Um what? Then guitarist asks if I or the drummer (also subbing) have a mixer (to facilitate all the channels needed). Ummm......say what?

Side Bar: I and the drummer actually do own quite a bit of PA gear between us but we didn't tell them that!

So now I'm wondering what exactly are they going to use for this gig. SMDH. Oh, and their use of heavy reverb on the vocals is laughable. I'm just gonna collect my money and high tail it outta there. They want me to be the regular bassist. No way in hell! I should kick my drummer friend's @$$ for getting me involved in this rag tag operation!

Man, I just can't win! What do I have to do to find a good band and steady gig? Oh I know......move from this gawd awful area and music scene! Now I'm starting to realize why the 'old timers' won't come out to play anymore!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    bassbrad likes this.
  2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Yeah, sounds like it could be tough. Make the best of it and be impressive. Perhaps it will make them get their act together before they call you again. Break a leg!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well if I had kustom PA gear I wouldn't tell anyone either. :D Actually it sounds like a chance to make more money by offering to rent them the gear they needed.

TheBear and JohnMCA72 like this.
  4. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    I sympathize - I actually disposed of my PA rig to avoid these situations - but ultimately in the end, any night they pay you - for playing bass (!) - you've won.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I feel your pain! A guitarist friend and I briefly joined a very disorganized band of very mediocre musicians who had less than mediocre gear. While setting up for our first gig nothing was working right and the other guys were completely lost as to what to do. My buddy leans over to me and asks, "Who do I have to f*** to get out of this band?". We laughed about that all night, and quit the band at the next rehearsal. A sub gig is just that ... I show up with my gear (bass, amp, accessories, mic, personal monitor, cables for everything I use), and my chops .... the rest is up to them.

MattZilla likes this.
  6. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Well I would look at it as an opportunity to network. If the band needs PA gear I would try to rent them some of my own or depending on the situation bring it for free. If whoever was clueless about running a PA I would offer to help. Being able to get gigs depends on what you can bring to the table. Who knows maybe someone in the band also has another project going on and when they need a bassist and a PA they would know you have both and you would get the call.

Imaginary Pony and Renaissance like this.
  7. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    If the band is running on a ramshackle PA, they probably aren't getting paid well enough to either afford or rent a decent one. I have a decent PA, but I really have no desire to bring it unless I'm making a substantial extra cut. I'll have to be the first one there, last one to leave, and have to unload my car in the wee hours of the morning. It's really not worth it for a $100 a man gig to me. If providing the PA is what I need to get a sub gig making an equal cut, I'll pass. However, if it's a suitcase sound gig, then I may consider it since I don't have to haul as much.

TheBear and Jim Nazium like this.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well................gig over. Their Yamaha powered mixer had 4 channels of which only 3 worked! SMDH. They called a friend who showed up with a GTDAudio powered mixer. 10 or 12 channels, I can't remember. Actually very nice. Not a lot of power but it was loud enough. Speakers were old DJ no name dual 15 w/horn speakers. They couldn't handle much kick drum. No subs. Bass was minimal but was in the mix. No monitors so I could barely hear the vocals. Singers were forgetting lyrics and song forms all night. No cues at all. Guitarist playing in the wrong key or playing major over minor or minor over major all night. There were other things off as well. Suffice it to say, I won't be gigging with them again.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Talking about SUB gigs here. I'm not looking to join their band, or any other band for that matter.

DWBass likes this.
  10. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Do you rent PA systems at your store? At my local store I'm always seeing people coming in to rent PA systems. A $100.00 gets you a pair of k10s or 12s and a Mackie mixer. A friend of mine use to have about 20 Mackie 450s available for rent. He had repeat clientele of bands renting from him.

11. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    OK. I believe the OP has not had a steady band in over a year and would probably love to join a band if they were half decent. The point I was trying to make is that by putting in the extra effort you can be rewarded. About 4 years ago my main band slowed down because of the BL wanting to spend more time with his family. I got a call to sub for a band because of their bass players health issues. l remember at the end of the night after the rest of the band loaded their gear they went and sat down at a table and waited for the BL to finish tearing down and loading the PA/lights. I helped him. If they would have got off of their lazy asses and pitched in we would have been done in half the time.
    The main bass player had to leave the band 6 months later and out of all the subs I became the first call. Since then I have played about a 150 gigs with that band.

SaxBass, Tad and BassCliff like this.
  12. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I began as a sub with one of my current bands about five or six years ago. Of course I helped with whatever needed doing, but I did NOT have to bring my PA. After a year the bass player moved south, and I slid into the permanent spot, and have played about 40-50 gigs/year with them. Only once did I need to use my PA when the 1985 boat anchor we use had a problem. I was a member then, and was glad to do it. Had they asked me at my first sub gig to provide a PA I would have walked away ... maybe ran ... and never sub'd for them again.

13. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Warning Will Robinson, DANGER!! DANGER !!
    Seriously.. can you sub a gig with us... and "Oh BTW, Can you bring you PA with you?"" ***?

I would have done the same as Rusty suggested!! Run, don't walk!
    Subbing, is subbing.. it's not the subs jobs to bring, provide or even be concerned with the PA.

I could see if you were all friends, had played together before and were putting a "band" together for this one gig. In that case, I'd say OK for BL to try and put a PA together..

14. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    And yet you just started a thread about auditioning for a new band.:confused: Busy day ahead ... | TalkBass.com

15. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    In Rusty Axes first reply to this thread he was actually in the band and not a sub. Band had crappy gear and nobody knew how to run it. I would have did my best to make the show a success even if it meant bringing a decent PA.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have no problem with networking and doing one offs. But how do you book gigs and not have a decent working PA system?? And I'm still wondering how they got this gig! But..........having said that, if the band was halfway decent and had potential, my drummer buddy and I may have offered to assist.

17. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    disagree whole heartedly , PA gear aint easy to move or cheap stuff , I have 2 rates , the band showing up and playing , and a couple hundred more if I have to haul and set PA gear , I get the rental for my gear , bought and built on my own , so its only fair . the networking BS you speak of would happen with or without the PA gear there anyway and no way in hell I would bring it for free, especially to a ringass sub gig, that crap is no different than "Playing for exposure" , just an excuse for someone to get something free.

DWBass likes this.
  18. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    The OP has a kustom powered box type mixer that is gathering dust at his house IIRC. In his OP they wanted to know if he had some mic cables and a mixer. At most he would have one extra trip to the car to bring in some gear that is worth a couple of hundred dollars. Hardly hauling and setting up a complete PA.

19. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    As I mentioned earlier around here a lot of bands rent.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would not have used my Kustom gear on this gig. That is relegated to my backyard BBQ's. I do own other gear. I own a Mackie mixer and a couple power amps and some Yorkville subs. You have to get off this Kustom thing!

They basically needed a mixer with at least 10-12 channels (which I do own as well as the drummer owning one). Neither of us were willing to loan our gear. And yeah, they could have rented but they didn't and until their friend showed up, would have done the gig with a 3 channel mixer. They did somehow find longer XLR's.