Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sub Harmonic Synth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stringer13, Mar 2, 2005.

1. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    hi!
    had a question for whoever, has anyone ever tried hooking up a harmonic synth for you bass guitar (ie peavey kosmos) or something to this nature?

i have a swr sm900 and was wanting to bi amp my sound but was pretty dissapointed about the low end and it has a volume loss too! :bawl:

so i figured a quick solution would be to run the kosmos in my setup. i might even go as crazy to buy another power amp to run w/ the kosmos to a subwoofer cabinet.

let me know what anybody thinks!? :eyebrow:

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    What specifically were you using in your bi-amp set up? What was the power amp(s), speaker cabinets, crossover points, etc, etc? A single larger speaker loaded cabinet like an 15" or 18" typically has a lower SPL that a 4x10" speaker set up, or the like. However, without more details it's hard to tell.

Ted

3. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    well, im using a swr workingmans 4x10 and a bag end ELF 18" all tied up through an swr sm-900. i've tried the crossover points at different places and im really wanting more "boom" if that makes sense? all the notes are there and sound great but i just need more of that "sub" frequencies to rattle your bones and really push some air.

i dont feel like im crazy im just wonderin if the peavey kosmos would sound good and give me what im lookin for :D

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well, the workingman has a rating of 100 dB SPL @ 1W1M and the bag end has a rating of 96 dB SPL @ 1W1M. IIRC (someone correct me if I am wrong) the 4 dB means you would need twice as much power to push the 18" to the same level as your 4x10. This means the 4x10 is twice is efficient than the 18", basically.

Are you using an external ELF type Bag End crossover or are you using the crossover on the SM-900? If you aren't using the ELF, then I would suggest gettting a higher efficiency speaker that matches the 4x10 better. ELF speakers are designed to work with their crossovers.

Ted

5. Ted's right - in fact double the power is only a 3 dB difference. You have a few options, including:
    1. Get an external power amp to drive the 18"
    2. Replace the 18 with a more efficient speaker - my favourite for extended lows is the Eden 210XST. At 103dB efficiency (an extra 7dB), it would be the equivalent of 4 times the power into your 18 and provides tight lows down to 30Hz.
    3. Replace the 18 with a powered PA sub - that way you get amp, speaker & crossover in one cost-effective & matched package.

6. You might want to do a search on the dbx 120A or 120XP. A while back someone posted about using the dbx Subharmonic Synth in his live rig. A TB member named Mad Subwoofer used to do that I believe, but I haven't seen him post here in a long while.

Here is one thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120358

7. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    im not sure if this is what youre talking about, but i bought an aphex 204 and shape one channel for my 210 and the other channel for my 212. its not technically a bi-amp, but each channel has an aural exciter circuit and a big bottom circuit. so for the 210 i used more of the aural exciter to get it sounding brighter (i cant think of another word to describe the sound) and the big bottom to make it sound slightly larger. for the 212 i used a lot of the big bottom circuit which added a ton of depth and made it sound huge and full. the big bottom circuit might help you make your cabs sound much bigger without adding any gain.

8. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    wow, you fellows are smart! i dont really get into the db's and spls, :scowl: i know i should though, i apologize for being ingorant about it.

by the way i've been using the crossover on the swr sm900.

anyways, im thinking of getting rid of both cabs b/c im tired of carrying them~!,

1.)any suggestions on what i should do to achieve the sound im kinda looking for? really i want like a small full range cab (maybe a 2x10 or a 12" or a 4x8) and something else to go "boom" and push alot of air.

on the boom boom side of things :p i've looked at the swr big ben, or even just a powered pa cab like one of you 'gents said earlier. i like my bag end but it just cannot push the air, for an 18" it does not get a dub loose bottom at all!
    2.)if i pay attention to my frequencies and spls on other cabs then i wouldnt really need a sub synth correct?