Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sub Harmonics ????????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kelu, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Here is my problem..
    Yesterday, a friend give me his head amp for a concert, I dont remember its name, but it was blue, expensive, ans has a Sub Harmonic fonction!
    SUB HARMONIC RULES ! It made my sound BIG ! I have a Musicman Sterling and a Hartke 3500, I'd like to have this sound, is there a pedal which would do the same????
    Advice me please :)

2. Sounds like an ashdown ABM. Mines on backorder and I simply cannot wait. I'm looking forward to pumpin' out the subharmonics.

3. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    That's it, Ashdown ! ! ! ! !
    Please tell me if there is a pedal with BASS HARMONICS fonction.. It's HUUUUUUUUUGE !

4. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey, I got a Ashdown RPM 1 preamp in the for sale section. Got the subharmonics control;)

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I wonder how those subharmonic effects (I've got one on my Ashdown head - I don't know if anyone else calls it by the same name) work?

Harmonics are calculated by multiplying the fundamental frequency by a series of numbers. Therefore, the open A string (55Hz) also produces harmonics at 110Hz, 165Hz, 220Hz, etc. My initial assumption was that the subharmoniser would just give you a frequency that was half the pitch (divided rather than multiplied by two).

However, that would require 27.5 Hz for the A string (below what most amps will happily reproduce) and the Ashdown subharmoniser gives audible results even down to my low B string. Hmmnn.... :meh:

Any ideas?

Wulf

ps. I imagine an octave pedal would give a similar effect.

6. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Yup, an octave pedeal will do..you're in France, just get an EBS Octabass. You'll get the same effects.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Started out as an Amps topic, ended up more of an Effects topic.

Moved to where the original topic should have been put.;)

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    The DOD FX32 Meatbox pedal is a subharmonic synth pedal.
    One of the settings on the Boss SYB-3 is synth notes generated an octave below the pitch - so this could also be considered a subharmonic synth.

You might be able to find a used DOD Meatbox on www.musicgoround.com or ebay. They usually go for $35-$45 used.

Here ia a link to the reviews for the DOD FX32 from harmony central:
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/DOD/FX32_Meat_Box-01.html

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like my meat box, but the dbx 120xp rack unit is better.

10. I have the DBX 120 in my rack, and it works well. My gripes with the DBX are two:

1) No foot pedal control
    2) Limited octaver range

I'd like to be able to control the effect with a foot pedal. Right now, it is push-button only, on the rack panel. Running out of sub range at 110 Hz is irritating. I want it to go higher.

The DBX produces a tremendous amount of power in the 26 to 55 Hz range. This is the domain of the subwoofer, and players without subs should pass on this device. Used at any appreciable volume, the DBX will splatter conventional drivers.