1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sub Lime innards.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by icecycle66, Jan 8, 2012.

1. icecycle66

icecycle66

Feb 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Has anyone opened up the Fender Sub Lime to see if it really needs to be as big as it is?

I really hate large pedals that are mostly empty inside.

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    [​IMG]

3. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I know it has been discussed in the past but has any ever actually rehoused a sublime?

4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I think a clone could be made smaller but rehousing the original guts would be far too much work. The PCB is big and a lot of that circuitry (like the color changing stuff) may not be necessary for a workable clone. Someone needs to draw it out first.

5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    You would probably lose the functionality of the fuzz dial, meant to be worked with your foot on the fly, if that matters to you.

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    I don't find the foot dial very useful as there seems to be a volume drop as you move towards the more driven tone. Mind you, that driven tone is one of my favourites. A clone would be cool. The trimpots could be changed to proper controls too.

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Given all of the other fuzzes out there, would there even be a point in cloning the Sublime into a smaller box? Surely there is something else that sounds like this one.

8. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    it's kind of an unusual design - splits the frequency band and fuzzes up the HF's.
    Does anything else do that? if so, probably worth checking that out.

9. Have a feeling FEA effects may have done that as well....

10. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    I agree, the whole foot dial thing is not very useful due to volume drop however I wouldn't mind having it present in a normal pot

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I use my Sublime in conjunction with an AGGRO, so I guess the volume drop is less of an issue with me. I have taken to having the SubLime always on as I like what it brings to my over all sound. It is an ungodly beast though as a recent pic of mine showed.

12. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    BTW one way you can use the foot dial without experiencing too much 'volume loss' disappointment is to start at the left and move it towards the middle giving you more fuzz without losing all the bass, or or start at the right and move it towards the middle bringing extra bass into your fuzz...