Sub Octave in 1590a package

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all, I was wondering if you all could point me in the direction of a good octave divider with sub octave capability that is housed in a 1590a box. Upper octave would be cool, but not necessary.

The main thing is that I'm looking for something that is more synthy in the vein of the EBS Octabass or the classic Boss OC-2 rather than something with more of an 8-string sound like a POG or fuzzy like a Mutron. Needs to have good tracking on the low B string.

The Cog T-16 appears to be right up my alley, but like all Cog stuff, appears to be utterly impossible to find. Mooer has two octave pedals that look cool, but not sure if they're exactly what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Noylin

Noylin

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    what I gather about the Mooers are one of them isn't very good, and the other sounds like the POG (I'm sure others will chime in as to which is which)

The Cog is what you're after, if anything compares I certainly haven't seen it

Ikkir, SLO Surfer and LiquidMidnight like this.
  3. Oneud

Oneud

Apr 16, 2016
    Ankh-Morpork
    The Mooer Tender Octaver is the one that sounds like the POG. I have one, and am definitely a fan of it...however, if you're looking for an OC-2 type pedal, it's not what you're looking for.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Tender = POG
    Pure = :poop: (so I've read)
    Cog t-16 = :bassist:

Others to consider:
    Joyo Ocho (like OC-2 but supposedly less volume on 8va down)
    Valeton OC-10 (really want to try this as it just might be THE mini OC-2 we've been waiting for)

SunnBass, LiquidMidnight and Noylin like this.
  5. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    I, too, am the proud owner of a Mooer Tender... However, good luck finding one these days. Mooer seems to have discontinued it and seems to focus on the Tender Octaver Pro--which looks great, but is larger and more expensive.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  6. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I got my tender octaver on aliexpress....Shipping took a while, but it was worth it.

SunnBass likes this.
  7. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Nowhere to be found on Ali anymore...

8. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Is the TC electronics sub n up any good?

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That Joyo looks really interesting. Any idea how well it tracks on low notes and how transparent it is?

10. What do you mean cog hard to find? You just order off the website? Unless you mean trying to find second hand.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    COG is pretty much your only option. However I chopped my T16 in for an Octabvre Mini as it was better for synth bass - closer in tone to the OC-2 and way more volume on tap than the Boss and COG, both of which are on the quiet side with the solo octave maxed out. Due to the fact it had top jacks, it took up the same amount of space on my board too since the next pedal in line had top jacks also.

If you're not nailed down to the 1590A format, I'd look into a Broughton Broughctave.

12. RE: TC Sub n' up

It's ok needs more TonePrints. But is bigger than the 1590A format. I like the COG stuff my T-70 should be here next week.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It seems like Cog's stuff is often out of stock, as the T-16 appears to be:

Cog Effects - T-16 Octave

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for all of the opinions, everyone. I'm not necessarily married to the 1590a format. I've been looking at my board and I'm running out of room, but I may be able to stick an MXR sized octaver on if I arrange everything correctly.

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Whilst the T-16 is still the one I find extremely tempting, the Foxrox Octron 3 seems interesting as well. Front facing sockets makes it reasonably economic in terms of space it takes up.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I too am waiting on a T-16, but that Valeton OC-10 does have me interested.

17. roller

roller Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on the Mooer Tender Octaver. It's a great pedal... tracks well on both electric bass and guitar.

18. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    The valeton oc10 does indeed look like exactly what you want. If the one on the bass dapper was any indication it sounds good. Theres a demo of the oc10 on guitar and it sounded good there as well. The model of the oc-2 in the zoom units sounds good too, at least to my ears.

19. The cog stuff really impressed me at the London bass guitar show, well it must have I spent a fair bit with Tom. As far as always out of stock; this is my first boutique pedal and was a bit of a shock not to walk away with a bag full of stuff. I will post some more when the T-70 arrives. I know the T-70 is huge but it seemed to tick all the boxes for me. Currently I have the sub n up and Meatbox on my board. I also bought a Cog dirt pedal. I don't think the sub n up will be synthy enough (that's my general feel) but my band loves the organ-ish sounds so I might be stuck with it on my board LOL. I might put my OC2 or Digitech BSW on until the T-70 is on there. I chose the COG over the Octabrve. The only octave left on my hit list is the bass whammy but I might add to the list just don't tell my wife. I've not owned one but the agular octomizer was impressive in the shop. I've not tried the EBS but it seems preey cool. Also what you pair it with will effect to sound, the Subnup gets more synthy with a fuzz.

20. Only issue I had with the bass whammy reissue is their was no wet and dry option... love my boss PS3 for that reason...

Yeah my only annoyance at tom ( even though I love everything COG) was the 421 got discontinued just as I was about to buy a rat clone!