Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Plenty of threads here on typical short scales.
    But how about - Sub-Short Scales? [yeah, that's right, I just made that up]

We'll define a Sub-Short as anything Less than 30 inch scale.
    That would mean baritones, Mikros, Ashborys, and my new favorite:
    the 25.5 inch guitar-sized Corsair MCR1.

Any interest in discussing the shortest of the shorts?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I got one of these. Fun little bass to play.

Ashbory.gif

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Always wanted to try an Ashbory and never took the plunge.

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I'll jump in on this since these pics are always fun to post...we call it the "Candycane" bass.

minibass2.jpg

minibass4.jpg

To SBassman regarding comments in another thread; I'll also agree that the build quality, playability and sound make the price of this little bass seem exceptionally low.

Chad

5. dminer

dminer

Nov 26, 2007
    How about this 60's Airline (Montgomery Wards) Pocket bass...It really does have a great tone with the peizo bridge pup and the humbucker...sounds a bit like an upright!!
    2006_0101basses0003.jpg

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'll never forget that pic. Very special.

Yeah, I've come to believe that our Corsairs are the best kept secret in the bass world. The build quality is very, very impressive. I'm having so much fun with that bass that I sold off equipment to afford a second one as a backup in case these things go out of production.

Most don't know about that bass, and I wouldn't be surprised if the production ceased.

Grab em while you can. :)

chupacerveza and OtherLisa like this.
  7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    chupacerveza likes this.
  8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    chupacerveza likes this.
  9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The only bass I have had GAS for in a while. Portable, light, sounds good, would raise a few eyebrows around here.

chupacerveza likes this.
  10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I wrote to them to hear how much it costs. I imagine it's not cheap since they are probably hand built.

So, the strings on those - are those like the Ashbory strings?

11. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Would this be the bass in question? For £100 for what I'm hearing is a very good bass, I'm tempted to get it as a backup.

chupacerveza likes this.
  12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    chupacerveza likes this.
  13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The Corsair we have mentioned previously is the MCR1, which is actually a super-short - wait, sub-short :) - scale. 25.5 scale.

There are several Corsairs in the line - multiple different scales.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/bassportal_corsair.html

I haven't touched any of the others, but you'd have to believe they'd be at least as well built as the MCR1, meaning - they are most likely great deals.

Folks, these are not SX's. Yeah, I know you can get a big winner with the SX's, but - these really are a step above.
    I guess YMMV.

chupacerveza likes this.
  14. banditcosmo

banditcosmo Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Charlottesville, Va.
    I watching an E-Bay auction for a discontinued Fender Junior Precision which has around a 28" scale and I thought about bidding on it but it ended up selling for $869.00 !!! These basses were made in Mexico and listed for $570.00. I'd love to have one but not for that much.

chupacerveza likes this.
  15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    That's a shame. They should have kept those in production.
    When they were in production, they sold for a whole lot less than 869. Somebody got carried away with *winning*. :)

The good news is - there are plenty of short scale options these days. If you want a 28, take a look at the Mikro. And you won't need 900 dollars. :)

chupacerveza likes this.
  16. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Hey cool, guess I missed this thread.

Just another chance to show support and pr0n for the "sub-short-scale" basses!
    Vs my VG strat.... IMG_0817.gif
    Vs my Aerodyne P... IMG_0815.gif IMG_0814.gif

I too was thinking of getting a second MCR1 (probably still will soon) but now think I will try to attain one of those ukebasses. The tone & idea of one of those with my current Corsair is very exciting to me!:D

Besides, I'm going to get one of these to pair with my corsair soon...http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/mmb1.html It's proportionatly accurate when compared to the MCR1!

Also, I have had the chance of playing some of the other Corsair series basses. Both the 30" scale ones. Both are definately of higher quality than the SX bases, and that's saying something! I was especially impressed with the 30" fiver.

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's hysterical to see the MCR1 next to other basses and guitars.

Wow - if you're gonna go for that Uke, you'll Have to post clips.

:cool:

[I'm glad a few are finding this thread. Kewl.]

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I hearby nominate this little one as the Official High Exalted Princess of this thread / maybesomeday Club:

minibass2.jpg

:)

19. Chad,
    I don't care for kids at all. But just...wow. Awesome picture and kid.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I thought I'd post a public service announcement for the coupla MCR1 owners out there.

Took me a bit to raise the funds, but I'm about to send my pickguard out to get it duplicated - in Black.
    I really don't like white pickguards.

Pickguardian is doing it for me.

Since the pickguard will be there, maybe you'd get a better than normal price.

If anyone is interested, let me know. If there were a couple of others interested, I'd explore if they were inclined to give us a better price for organizing this together.

Looking forward to my black pickguard. :cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021