Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Oh man. I might just be able to get one of those U-Basses sooner than I thought! Bass NW has two (one fretted/one frettles)! If only they were open on Sundays!!! I really hope I can make it down on Monday before someone else snatches it up!:rollno:

2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you get your hands on one of those Uke Basses, you Gotta :)
    keep us posted here. Pics, clips, and reviews.

Also, it turns out there are Many Youtube videos on this amazing instrument. Besides the company's video previously
    posted, there are tons of user reviews out there. Here's a good one. Caution: it Will make you want to buy one.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    A pair of Matte Black pickguards is now on their way to me, courtesy of the work of Tony at Pickguardian.

If you own an MCR1 and want a new pickguard someday, he now has a template.

Rock and roll. Pics when the pickguards land.

4. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Hey guys, you've really got me gassing for an MCR1. Could you please let me know what the width at the nut is? Please say 1.5 inch like a jazz...

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, you made me find a ruler, which is hard in my household. :)

Bingo. It's almost 1.5". Actually, a hair less.

If you like smaller basses, this bass is - more fun than we should have. A real quality, super small bass. Tons of fun to play.

6. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Excellent. Thanks for measuring! It's weird cause the Samick site gives so little information.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Sure.

Were you asking about 1.5" because:
    - You need it to be Exactly that because of a nut replacement plan or something like that? or
    - You just don't want a chunky neck?

[cuz - this is Not a chunky neck]

8. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Oh man! I just got your PM Gassie. I'm very sorry I didn't get a chance to reply in a timely manner. I haven't been on here in about a week (everyone needs a break from the gas inducing jugernaut which is TB). I can confirm that the nut is almost exactly 1.5" and very comfortable; smaller than your average bass but with enough girth to fit your hand like a glove, except inside your palm not on the outside...uh...ok, not the best wording, but it is very nice.:rolleyes:

Also, I made half the purchase of a Ubass today! I walked into my local music shop and found that they had just ordered a vast array of ukes and in the middle of the wall display, there it was!! I quickly pulled it down and played unplugged for about 10mins (I couldn't stop myself from playing long enough to even plug it in). It sounds fanfreakintastic! The strings are like Ashbory strings but they feel smoother. The neck is smaller than the MCR1 but actually plays much more smoothly. The same can be said for the tone. Both plugged and unplugged this little guy puts out a monsterous yet tame upright like tone which I'm ashamed to say sounds a whole lot larger than any of my full sized basses or 40" upright! I had to skeedaddle as I was running late for a dinner meeting but I put down $200 of the $500 total on it and will be back very soon (hopefully tomorrow?) to pick it up!

I also found a strange little uke made by Mahalo. It's a 18" scale 6 string uke with nylon strings and is tuned E-e. It was only $50 and it plays and sounds like a champ! Now all I need is a micro electric sixer and I will have a complete micro arsenal of electric and acoustic guitars and basses! So weird and awesome!

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Thought I'd post the actual website where I'm getting the new MCR1 pickguards:

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/

Tony at Pickguardian has been a real champ with this.

He now has a template of that pickguard if anyone wanted to take the plunge.

Pics of my pickguard as soon as they touch down.

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Outstanding. Keep us posted.

11. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Now worries, mate. Thanks for the corroborating evidence about the nut width. You only fueled my gas :mad:

Congrats on the Ubass. Fascinating little creature.

SBassman: I just don't like chunky necks. Jazz style necks feel best in my hands.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Then trust us. Whether it's 1.5", or 1.51" or 1.49", this neck - ain't chunky. :)

One other interesting thing I have noticed about this little bass:
    they almost Overcompensated on scaling down the body. :)
    They definitely could have gotten away with a little more body and have this thing still feel small. The body is very tiny.

Wearing this feels like a guitar around your neck. Actually, it's Lighter than many guitars. :) But, fear not, it does not have wanky guitar tone. This suckah is a Bass. :cool:

13. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    I wish there were some good clips somewhere of this little bass. It's pretty wanky on one clip but I'm pretty darn certain it's the amp setup.

14. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Deeper searching reveals...

Wanky:

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    1 - Wondering what kind of amp he was using.
    2 - Couldn't get further than 30 seconds. Yikes. [Less notes, more of them in time.]
    3 - There it is. Although even that clip isn't revealing it all.

16. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
    I play mini-basses quite a bit. (These were all built by me.)

25.5" scale fretted with steel strings, hollow body, through neck:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22" scale frettless poly string:
    [​IMG]

20" scale frettless poly string:
    [​IMG]

Here's a piece from a local PBS show. The bass was recorder direct to the board and is a bit compressed in the begining of the song, but it opens up and you can hear the true sound of the bass from around 2:30 on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zIsyO1m0Q

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Excellent. Thank you for posting these.

18. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just cut down a set of strings (gauge 130-60) and peeled back some of the outer wrap on the bottom two strings in order to tune my Samick mini to EADG. It sounds alright, could sound quite good with fresh strings, not just whatever I had lying around. I really wish I could find a company that would custom wind some strings.

19. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    I actuall sent an email to Mr. Bennett and inquired as to filling out custom orders of the stock string set custom made for the MCR1 (maybe I'm the only one who liked em but I didn't have any problems with em.) Yet to recieve a reply but I only sent it lastnight.

Also, picking up my Ubass in about 2 hours and am heading with it straight to Spazz Band (sorry, jazz band, just my name for the jazz nuts up here in the NW:p) practice for about 3 hours afterwards. Can't wait for the strange looks I'm gonna get. So excited!:hyper:

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I didn't write to Greg B, but I did already try to write to Samick about strings. No answer.

In other news, I see a box in the house, so, I Should be posting Blacked-out MCR1 pics later.

:cool:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021