Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Ok, here's the little MCR1 blacked out.

Cruddy camera pics, but - you get the idea.

2. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    Wow, that pg really gives it a more grown-up look, very nice!

Sorry I hadn't update on my Ubass aquisition. (I've got verizon wireless card internet and my 5gb/month ran out earlier this week, but was reset this morning.)

Anyhow, have used it now with two jazz groups and even an alt rock band (this does the song Say it Aint So by Weezer better than any bass I have, weird.) and must say that this is the most satisfying purchase that I have EVER made, hands down. You thought the MCR1 was awesome, try one of these. Don't get me wrong, I still love my little red soldier but am splitting up my playing duties for these two between the various types of music I will be playing. I am totally set. It's really the perfect bass!!!!

Barely larger than the average chihuahua! IMG_0833.gif

And using the Bassman setting on this little Roland, I can go out and play with my buds on 'bone, trumpet, alto sax, and marchins snare w/ crash symbol attached as a ride and play on street corners or little clubs for fun! IMG_0831.gif IMG_0828.gif

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    :) Yeah - it does look more grown up. The cruddy pic is not doing it justice. It made a big difference.

In better days financially, I will have to go for one of those. Looks like tons of fun.

We have very similar tastes. I want one of those little cubes. It will be just the ticket for me.

4. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    that really looks great.
    our mcr1 is the only bass in the house with a pick guard and now you've really got me thinking...
    again, that's a nice looking mod.
    chad

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Yeah - I wish I had a camera to show you better.

I'm really not a fan of white pickguards. I'm honestly not sure why it is the stock color on so many basses and guitars.

Anyway, if you ever go for it, Tony at Pickguardian can help you out. He now has a template of the pg on file.

6. I'm going on vacation at the end of June. I have several gigs the following 2 weeks and don't want to go a week plus without practicing.

Does the Samick MCR1 in a gigbag fit in an overhead bin? What's the total length?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Mark

7. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I think it depends on the airline, their restrictions, the bag you use and the person working there that day.;)
    (I'm guessing you could talk your way on with one.)

The samick is approx:
    34" from strap button to top of headstock
    10.5" wide at the body
    2.5" from top of vol. knob to back of body.

Check this out...

Airline: American
    Maximum weight: 40 lbs.
    Maximum size: 45 linear inches*
    Airline: US Airways
    Maximum size: 51 linear inches
    Airline: United
    Maximum size: 45 linear inches
    * The length, height and width added together
    Sources: American Airlines, US Airways, United Airlines

Good luck,
    Chad

8. The bass measurements are exactly what I was looking for. I have a Martin LXK2, which is a smallbody 23" scale acoustic guitar.

Martin LXK2 measurements:

length: 34"
    width at lower bout: 12 1/2"
    max depth: 3 1/2"

The MCR1 looks to be roughly comparable in size. I've always been able to get it on the plane and in an overhead bin with room to spare.

For comparison my Gretsch G2202 Jr. Jet is:

length: 40"
    width: 12 1/2"
    depth: 2 1/2

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    If you Do take the plunge on an MCR1, I'm gonna go out on a limb and - guarantee you're gonna have some fun. A very, very cool, fun small bass. Brother SBassman Frank Gar-ron-tees it. :)

10. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I love my MCR1's - but I'm still stuck as far as new strings.
    I tried half rounds on one. It worked - pretty much - but the E is still a tad unstable. On #2, I didn't change those strings, and that E is much more stable.

I'm willing to just use the set they ship - if I could get some fresh ones. I have not been able to find them.

Does anyone have any tips for restringing this bass - leading to a very stable E?

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    We're talking sub-short scale, as in: 26" scale. 30, 31" scale strings do not work.

12. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    +100000000
    Still can't find a suitable match other than the stock set. :(

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Had to chime in again about how much fun I'm having with the MCR1.

For those out there who don't like short scales, and haven't played this bass, I'll I can say is: Suck-kuhhhhh!

This is one mighty fun bass for low dollars.

Now, with the EHX Mole added, I have better tone than most TB snobs here. :)

El Pelusa likes this.
  14. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    My son started out on the MCR1 Mini Corsair. Very good bass... more costly than an SX, though.

Here he is playing at a club in Santa Monica two years ago (age 8).

Dig the wah-wah action. He's playing "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Again)".

Ethan_Bass.jpg

15. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Excellent.

16. llamalor2112

llamalor2112 Inactive

Sep 18, 2007
    While perusing Boogie Man Music in Ellensburg I found a used mcr1 with a really stable replacement set of what felt like standard gauge sunbeams and bassline quarter pounders. Plugged it in and BOOM! Fattest sounding bass in there. Now I know what i gotta do to mine next. :D

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I've also got one of these:

302655.gif

18. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Dang, what a cool little axe! Love the slotted headstock.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Love it?

20. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    I've got a 27" scale Alvarez MSB1 acoustic/electric that I absolutely love!

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021