Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I'm now in dialog with a custom string maker who will make me a set sized for the MCR1.

Anyone want to offer suggestions on gauge to use, to increase some tension?

Should I try something stupid like use BEAD gauges and tune it up from there, or should I just go with a heavy EADG set?
    Does anyone know the gauges that came on the bass?

[I'm going to go at least up to 110, but I'm wondering if I should push up further from there.]

Frank

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've stripped of the outer wraps of a B and E, gauges around 130 and 105 respectively. I cut them down to length and slowly unwound part of the outer wrap until it fit in the tuning peg without winding the mass of the string on it. Looks weird, and rattles a lot on the "B" (now tuned to standard E) string.

May I ask who it is you're in talks with and how much it'll cost for a set? I love my MCR1, and would like a real set of strings for tuning to E standard, instead of the hackjob I have right now. PM me if you don't want to let the cat out of the bag in public.

In the end, I'd go for at least 115 or 120, but keep in mind that I play TI Jazz flats which are relatively low tension on a few of my full-size basses.

3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I definitely do love it. It's a nearly perfect bass, even though it's technically a ukulele. It's small, light and sounds huge.

I brought it to a jam session the other night, and it really rocked out and held its own on the blues numbers.

It has a very upright, fretless, sound, if you know what I mean. It's too much fun to play.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It's www.octave4plus.com

I was gonna wait until I successfully received something that worked, but, that's who took the job. I'll post again when I receive them.

30 per set.

5. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Well, I'm here for this discussion, cause I've got an Ashbory,

S5031270-1.gif

and I have this thing...

25" scale and MIK, no name anywhere, only markings are at the jack and that's where it says MIK... Guy I got it from homemade a nut for it, and it needs some TLC, he had it tuned A - C, but other than all than I've really got no idea what it is...

S5031269.gif S5031270.gif S5031271.gif

6. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    $30 seems fairly reasonable since it wouldn't need replacing so often (unless it plays so well, I take it to all the rehearsals). What gauges and configuration are you going for?

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I actually haven't had a confirmation from them on what they are going to be able to give me. E will be somewhere between 104 and 110. Hopefully 110.

8. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you left the decision up to them, or is it just that they can't make anything bigger right now? I'm thinking of ordering some 130-100-80-60 or somewhere around there.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Well, I'm not Really leaving it to them, but they're kinda squishy when you have mail dialog with them. You'll see. :)

Do you think 130's are the right choice?

10. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You were right about squishy. I'm guessing that they mean if you order a 110 set with Skeleton core, they'll be a lot tighter. There was some deal of implying things without outright saying it in the email. I'm gonna go with something around 120, maybe 130. They claim free exchanges (you pay shipping to them) in case anything isn't good.

11. xaxxat

xaxxat

Oct 31, 2008
    Anyone know of someone who's converted a guitar to a bass? I'm tempted to pick up a Tele or hardtail Strat copy and convert it to a 4 banger. Maybe use an SX short scale bass bridge and some rail guitar pups that I have laying around.

This video has me thinking...

Danny C likes this.
  12. unbridled

unbridled

May 26, 2005
    Montana
    Endorsing Artist-Compton Compensated Custom Bridges (for Gretsch 6ers)
    Love my Mikro. Gonna get another to "experiment" with.

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Does the skeleton core yield the highest tension? I actually don't know any of that, but I Did tell them to give me the core that would yield the most tension.

There must be a decent queue, or, they might just do it very part time, cuz, a week went by, and I know they didn't begin making mine. Oh well, gonna need to be patient.

14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    We have had further dialog. They are recommending not going beyond 110 to start. That's what we're gonna do.

They're actually offering to build me multiple until I like what I get, but, I'm not going to put anybody through that. I'm expecting a stiff 110 to work.

15. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had a couple more discussions, mostly figuring out how to make the order, but I think I've got it now. I'm still stuck on the .130 idea, and I'm planning on using the gauges from MWBass' Math lesson. 130-95-70-56, hex-core, taper-wound on the E, no silk wrap.

What are the exact sizes you're getting?

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I wish I knew. I'm ready to cancel my order. After sitting in the queue for about 10 days and exchanging many e-mails collecting up all the information, they essentially wrote to me today and told me to start over. I don't have the time for this.

17. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    That really sucks. I think I'm going to place my order this weekend and just hope they make my strings. I'm really excited to have a potential supplier for strings that will just work on the mini-bass, but if it doesn't work out, I'll be modding the bass to except full-length strings.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    They will definitely make your strings.

To be honest, I was cranky last night. I'm in the middle of an intense 18 hour a day project, and when I came home and read the e-mail asking for more measurements, I cranked.

I'm going to finish the order with them. They're actually working on it now. I'm not going to get to take the additional measurements until the weekend, so if you want to move the queue along and do the measurements with them, it will help us both out. :)

19. I used to have on of these. Sounded great with the original strings even though it was in storage for 40+ years. Only gripe I had was that the tuners were just terrible.

20. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    I've got a blue reissue Ashbory, and I recently strung it with the strings that Kala is making for the U-Bass. They work pretty well (sound good, feel better than Ashbory strings, last forever), but they are a bit of a trick to string up. Kala actually has a video with a "technique" to re-string the little bugger, with different looping techniques for different strings - wish I'd seen it before I struggled to put them on!

VIDEO: --> http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/40-KALA_U_BASS_STRINGING_TIPS_VIDEO.html

I'm gassing for one of the Kala basses, too - but I'm keeping it in check for the time being, as I have enough toys right now. But I took one home for a few days when they first came in, and really had some fun with it. Cool little bass, plays great, sounds great. I recommend the fretted version - with the poly strings, you don't even hear the frets, and it takes a lot of the difficulty of playing in tune on such a short scale away.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021