Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I went ahead and tried out mech's string making technique and it works, so far.

I modded a B, E, and an A (I used an unmodded, cut-down D string for the top) for my Samick MCR-1, which is only 25.5" scale. Previously, I had unwound those strings at the tuner end, but they rattled and just played terribly. I have it tuned standard EADG right now, and besides the fact that the E (tuned to A) that I chose is super-dead, they work and sound decent.

I think I might go ahead and give Octave4Plus another round of e-mails, and see about finally ordering a custom set for the bass.

My other thoughts have been over the idea of a double string-through setup. It would take some measuring, but the basic idea would be to drill holes through the body in front of and behind (or under, if you wanted to use a string-through bridge). Make a shallow route between those sets of holes on the back, and then feed the strings down through the front set of holes, around to the back set, and then through the bridge like normal.

I know I've heard of a real luthier using this double string through technique, but I cannot find anything about it for the life of me.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks! How hard do you think it would be to recreate? Looks like the cavity rounds out a bit to reduce any hard angles... I wonder if a couple of holes straight through the body might bind or break the strings...

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Here's my shortscale bass, just 28 5/8" custom made. With Daddario XL156, 044-056-072-084 strings. The body and neck is Warmoth baryton (the neck is made slightly thinner). The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails for guitar and the neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan pickup for Rickenbacker bass.

[​IMG]

5. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Cool bass. What does it sound like?

I've been yearning to build a mini bass, and ever since I found out that Warmoth does a superwide neck, I've been thinking that it would be perfect for a standard EADG tuned mini. Using a set of BEAD strings feels a bit funny on the narrow neck of my Samick.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled locally for a really cheap Tele to experiment with the double-string through idea mentioned previously.

6. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm close to placing an order with Octave4Plus, who suggest that a .104 E string at 25.5" scale will work just fine. I'm skeptical, but they said they'll replace any strings free of charge if I'm displeased. I'll probably need a new nut, since I've filed the current one out for .130 on the low string.

7. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Just bought this one off of eBay:
    harmony.jpg

:D

It's a converted Harmony guitar, 25" scale. I may replace the bridge with a fully adjustable.

ejaggers likes this.
  8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Did you ever do this order with them? How did it go?

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Anybody ever have their hands on one of these? They're on eBay as "Mini Bass" guitars.

Similar to the MCR1 - at about half the price.

I wonder what the quality is like.

Would make a great mod platform, if the construction is sound.

16245-rd.jpg

10. n4vgm

n4vgm

Jun 4, 2003
    SE Florida
    I just picked up an Ibanez Mikro (Orange). I'm really enjoying it from the drummer -> guitartist -> bassist perspective.

Attached Files:

11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Explain what you mean by that.

12. n4vgm

n4vgm

Jun 4, 2003
    SE Florida
    I have not played/studied bass guitar primarily but as an extension of my guitar knowledge. Since I played drums first I have that as a foundation. So, I play bass but often find my "space" musically within a group as a drummer/guitarist. Also, I tend to jump between instruments for periods of time up to several years. I do listen to the overall mix to play something that doesn't block out another instrument - whichever I'm playing.

Does that make any sense at all?

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Definitely.

14. I played an Ibanez Mikro bass just the other day. I really liked it! And I thought the string tension was decent, too. Yep, I'd go small.

15. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I did end up getting a set, 105-45. It's definitely not heavy enough. They had to remake my E and A with a heavier core, which I still haven't installed. The D and G are OK this light, I kind of like how snappy they are, and I might eventually put the new low strings on. I still like the idea of mini basses, but my U-Bass has me distracted from any other small basses currently.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    My UBass has me distracted, too - but I still think there is great untapped potential in the guitar-scaled steel string bass.

In the past, I didn't know how to go beyond the stock gauges. Now that I have read posts about people shortening long strings and reattaching a ball end, I think I'm going to do that with 5 string gauges - starting at 130 or so - and then tuning to EADG.

That Should fix the tension issue. The only question is - is it Too much tension?

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I just re-read your other posts, and it sounds like you have already tried stringing 130's to EADG.

Why did you later go back to experimenting with 105s?
    Didn't the 130s work?
    Any reason to believe it was too much tension for the neck?

18. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The people that I emailed at O4P made it seem like 105 would be enough. Their wording was a little vague in the email. They also neglected the fact that in one of my earliest emails I said I wanted a set to string the bass E standard with tension similar to a short scale (30") bass.

I believe that 120 would be sufficient but O4P does not offer a tension chart nor adhere to using the ones available from other manufacturers. 130s did not stress the neck too much and I don't think they would. I'd just straight up email and ask them what gauges at 25.5" scale would be most similar to a 105 set on a 30" bass.

19. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Sorry for the late answer :p

It sounds great, really good punch in the rickenbacker pickup. But I prefer the playabillity of my Micro, allthough the sound is much better and clearer on the Warmoth.
    So the Warmoth is my backup bass.

Guess I'll have to buy a new pair of pickups for my Mikro.

Here's a picture of my Mikro that has so far only gotten some cosmetical modifications:

[​IMG]

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021