Sub-Short Scale Talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Apr 3, 2010.

1. kohanmike likes this.
  2. What a coincidence! I have a 1967 BS101.

Glennbassmann likes this.
  3. howardcano

howardcano

Dec 4, 2012
    Olathe, KS
    Does that bridge have piezo sensors in each saddle? If so, where did you get it?

kohanmike likes this.
  4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Yes, each saddle has a pickup, wired to a small board underneath with a tail ready for hookup. They're also very hot with the Hadean stock preamp.

Piezo 4 String Bass Bridge Pickup

howardcano likes this.
  5. Mine.

20210618_133732.jpg

6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Jumping in this thread...

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I like that very much. I wish that was still in production.

Jughead6 likes this.
  8. Glennbassmann

Glennbassmann

Nov 6, 2019
    Yes that pickup is amazing I also have another old Teisco 24"shorty with the same pickup.. upload_2021-6-19_10-47-33.jpeg

SBassman likes this.
  9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I like the unique looking bodies on these. I bet it's feather light. If I got my hands on one, I'd violate it, though. :) I'd be obliged to change tuners, nut, and bridge - something I have done with many past explorations.

I love the Teisco badge on that one. Some smart person should buy the brand and do reissues, with that badge, like the Danelectro people did. There are lots of people on the planet with fond memories of a Teisco guitar or bass as their first instrument. My brother's first guitar was a Teisco, purchased in a department store. :)
    Korvettes. :) The body was this thin slab that weighed nothing.

Glennbassmann likes this.
  10. Glennbassmann

Glennbassmann

Nov 6, 2019
    yes it weighs nothing..mine is absolutely perfect the way it is everything works as it should and that is the original badge to this instrument..I have lots of basses with fancy pickups..but there is something about these and 80's ibanez roadstar super P-4 pickups (see pic my 83' 32" scale RB600) that really appeals to me... upload_2021-6-19_12-50-34.jpeg

SBassman likes this.
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Much love. If Ibanez made that in the Mikro 28.6" scale these days, I'd be all over it - for at least a pair. :)

NoiseNinja likes this.
  12. I wish mine still had the original Teisco gold foil pickup. They are the best part of any Teisco instrument. A previous owner stripped the pickup out of my bass :(.

Mine is original wood, pickguard, bridge and nut. Otherwise it has new pickup (Victory Lowrider), electrics (CTS, Switchcraft etc.), strap button (Schaller S-locks), knobs and tuners (Gotoh GB7).

I still have the original tuners, which look great and are in good condition, but are poor quality as you would expect on a budget learner instrument. I couldn't keep them on, because I gig with this little bass.

The new pickup is very nice. A deep, open, almost acoustic sound to it. Which is so weird considering that the bass weighs about 6lb.

SBassman likes this.
  13. kohanmike

Thought I would bring this thread back to sub-short scale bass. This is a Yamaha APTX2 cherry sun burst 23" scale guitar that I had Eric's Guitar in Van Nuys, CA convert to a bass uke. I had him replace the disk pickup under the top with an under saddle pick to cut back on the slightest touch noise. I also had a set of antique brass tuning machines and buttons that match up very well, and a set of Kala/Galli 23" scale flatwound nylon core strings.

Yamaha cherry burst 1024.JPG

SBassman and HaphAsSard like this.
  14. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Looks great. Yamaha should do it.

kohanmike likes this.
  15. kohanmike

NEW BASS UKE DAY - I've been eyeballing the Rondo.com Hadean Hofner style bass uke for a while, but because I already have a very similar solid body custom modified for me, I couldn't justify spending $240. Mine has poly strings and is my go-to recording bass for adding the bass track to the leader of my group uke/singing tracks she does of our songs, that I upload to my site for the rest of the members to practice with.

Since I started playing bass uke 8 years ago, I preferred the Road Toad Pahoehoe black strings, but over time I found that poly strings take too much time to settle in, requiring restringing too often, plus they all get sticky in somewhat humid weather, so I've been replacing them with Kala/Galli 21" and 23" flatwound nylon core. Because my Hofner style sounds so good for recording, I didn't want to change them.

Last week while surfing the Rondo website, I saw a blem on sale for $170, so I decided to buy it for my gigging Hofner style with flatwounds and only use my custom poly string for recording. It arrived yesterday and I'm very happy now, can't even see where the blem is. I added the flatwounds, replaced the all black knobs with pearl capped ones, to which I added a black dot, and a pearl truss cover. The bridge is floating and with the adjustment screws, the intonation is pretty good. I'm calling it Hadeaner (the other is Hofnelele).

Hofdean bass uke 1024.JPG
    Hofnelele decal bass 800.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    tymbrewolf and HaphAsSard like this.
  16. kohanmike

Just did some modifications to the Hadean Hofner bass uke. Found a Hofner style tailpiece in chrome, changed the tuning machines to chrome with pearl paddles, and changed the strap buttons to ivory.

Hadeafner 1024.jpg

AG42 likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021