SUB sterling? Have you seen it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fresnorich, May 4, 2004.

1. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Check this out:

It looks cool, although I can't tell if it has contours and I can't make out the three way switch.

I still think a used sterling is probably the better deal (non-painted neck, better wood, finishes, etc.) but down the road when these start hitting the used market .... could be interesting.

What do you guys think?
  2. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    That's a nice looking bass. I've played the Musicman SUB Basses and thought that they were really cool. Hopefully they'll have those at guitar center before too long, I'd like to play one as I'm in the market for a new four string.
  3. none of the S.U.B. models really speak to me, so i'm content holding out for a sterling.

4. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I like how it's all blacked-out, with the black neck that's used on all the SUBs. I want to compare this new one to my old Sterling.

5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i wish they made SUB's with maple boards :(
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not bad. I don't see the series/parellel/whatever the last one is, switch (humbucking, maybe?), so what will really set this one apart from the Ray tonally?

Just a different body and a smaller neck than a Ray, right?
  7. series/parallel/single-coil.

series and parallel refer to the connection of the two coils in humbucking mode. single-coil refers to its use of a single coil (with hum cancelled by a connected coil knows as the phantom coil that does not sense string movement, but does sense RF noise).

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Doh! I must of just had a brainfart.

I knew that too, thanks for the information.
  9. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it doesn't look as good as a regular sterling. You can't see any wood, and it seem like the paint is caked on too, probably because it's not shiny. Either way I wouldn't settle for it.
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Blasphemy! I love my Sterlings, but I don't love that!
  11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    The site doesn't mention a price - anyone know the tab on one of those? :D

One of those and a SUB Stingray 5-string and I'd be a happy man...

Russ :bassist:
  12. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Musicman S.U.B. Sterling "Textured Black/Rosewood" 4 st. bass - $695.00 including FedEx Ground shipping within the lower 48 United States
  13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Sounds good... shame I'm not in the US... :(

Interesting they've gone with the plain scratchplate instead of the chequer-plate ones from the Stingray SUBs...

Russ :bassist:
  14. the writing on the headstock seems pretty big and ugly to me, and I never liked the funny SUB finishes. Looking at this just makes me want to go out and buy the real deal.
  15. I don't see a SUB sterling on the Ernie Ball web site. Is this a new model then? Or a prototype or NAMM special or something?
  16. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I've seen many used Sterlings for that amount of money. Why get a hamburger when you can get a hot dog?