Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SUB Sterling

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just checked out an SUB Sterling at Guitar Center yesterday. It had a three band eq, but no coil splitter switch like a standard Sterling. It had that nice Sterling neck and the typical SUB finish. This may be the SUB that I end up getting because I love that skinny, Jazz style neck! :bassist: :cool:

2. i didnt even know about the sterling sub...i thought there was only the stingray sub, i think someone said before that theres a bongo sub as well? damn..weve only just got the sub 5 string over here..they didnt know about the bongos at my local store until i told them.....even the ernie ball website doesnt even say anything about other suns...im so confused

3. one3rd

one3rd

Jul 10, 2002
    Minnesota
    According to the Music Man website, there is no S.U.B. Stingray, S.U.B. Sterling, or S.U.B. Bongo. But the S.U.B., Stingray, Sterling, and Bongo exist, just separately.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Websites are not always up to date. I can read a tag and it said SUB Sterling. I have also played and owned several Musicman basses including a Stingray four, Stingray fives, and a Sabre. I know what a Sterling looks like and Guitarcenter in Bridgeton, Missouri had two of them yesterday.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    It is an SUB Sterling. It was introduced at NAMM this year. Did you say it does or doesn't have coil splitting. I thought they weren't supposed to have coil selection.

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It does not have the coil splitting switch. It still sounded great, however. :bassist:

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Bass NW has one for sale at their site if anybody wants to see one.

8. I'm curious to try this beast out. I have a SUB Stingray and I love the hell out of that bass. What did it sound like in contrast to a SUB Stingray or even a standard Sterling without the coil splitter on? Can you give more info, please? :hyper:

9. Never heard of a SUB Bongo. I've never seen a SUB sterling, or 5 string SUB Stingray, but I know they exist. Too bad the sterling doesn't have a coil splitter. And I think they should have made another finish for the SUB sterling, it just doesn't fit with a sterling model I think.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No talk of a SUB Bongo (yet) from EBMM. The SUB Sterling looks pretty cool, though, don't you think?

11. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Stumbled on this thread by accident, but if you're interested, I have a Musicman sterling in teal with the matching headstock.The bass has TI jazz flats on it and the musicman case, in new condition.Yours for 800 plus shipping.Thanks.Tony

12. In short, the SUB Sterling is a 21-fretter that sounds & feels a lot like my old Warwick FNA....at a RockBass price.

...and the 2 post immediately above this one are off-topic. C'mon , fellas.

13. obviously ernie ball dont update the MM website, This was at the top of the Ernie Ball site
    [​IMG]