Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sub Woofer Setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

All-

I recently entered a new project. For sound, collectively we have everything we need (mains, amps, mixers, monitors, etc) for most clubs except for a sub setup (subs, a crossover and sub amp). One of the guys that came from another band was offered their old (but nearly new) sub setup from the drummer who owns it. It's a Carvin setup that has about 6 gigs on it. Comes with a 2000 watt amp and two 18" subs and a crossover. He wants $900 for everthing including 50' speakon cables. Here is a link to the sub setup --> Subs and the corssover --> X-over . Again, the stuff is near new. Think it's worth $900 or should I look elsewhere? We really want to keep the sub setup under $1K if possible. If there are better deals out there for about $1K, let me know. If this is a damn good deal, let me know too. This deal is local, so no shipping to deal with or pay for... Thanks!

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you need 2 subs, I'd say it's a pretty good deal. My band rarely needs more than one.

3. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane what goes here?

Feb 23, 2003
    Denton, Texas
    That looks like a nice system. I would say that it's a good deal (although I don't know what they sell for), because one active Mackie sub goes for $1300.

Edit: looked again and scrolled down to the price. If the condition of the system is 'good', it's well worth that price.

You'd be able to get all of your money back if you ever wanted to sell the system.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm..

Frequency Response: 50 Hz to 450 Hz ±3 dB
    Useable Low Frequency: 42 Hz (-10 dB)
    Power Handling: 800w continuous
    Recommended Amp: 100 to 1500 watts
    Sensitivity: 98 dB SPL, 1 Watt @ 1 meter

They have worse frequency response AND sensitivity than my JRX125 cab!

The JRX 2X15 full-range speaker is rated 45Hz @3dB-down, and 36Hz @10dB-down, and the midband sensitivity is 100dB @1W/1m. Gee - I'm thinkin' that I need a sub with my JRX; This Carvin would be a step BACKWARDS!

I know that specs aren't everything, but.. Well, I'd hardly even consider forty-two at ten-down to even BE a "SUB"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You'd be better-off with an Acme B-2W for $380-each. They're known as being fairly inefficient, but way-down-there, you'd end-up with about the same efficiency at 31Hz on the B-2W, than the Carvin has at 41Hz!

I dunno'bout those things..! Is that even a "sub" at-all?!

Am I missing something?

Joe

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    OK - I've been looking into it for you: The Acme Low B-4W is TWICE as efficient as the 'B-2 (96dB, compared to 93dB - that's TWICE the sound pressure out for the same input), handles 700W continuous, and it's $590 brand-new. The QSC RMX-850 amp puts out 830W continuous bridged-mono into 4-Ohms, and is on-sale for $299 at Musician's Friend.

Yes - I'm suggesting that you use only ONE sub.

So that's UNDER $900 for WAY-MORE lows! ..and you only need one three-foot cable. You'd still need a X-over.

The more I think about it: that Carvin is a rip, Man.

Joe

6. Quadzilla

Wow Joe, thanks for doing the research and providing me with that info! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Anybody else?

7. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Dude, the B4 is a better sub, a cheaper sub and you can use it as one of the best bass cabs around when its not being a sub.

Do you need anything more than that? :)

8. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Oooh, aside from the above, since youre buying it to use for PA duties. Its a FREE Bass cab. :D

9. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I was thinking along the same lines. If you're into DIY, check out Bill Fitzmaurice's sub designs. Pretty efficient horn subs which can be build for way under $900, including amp and x-over. Very helpful forum, too.

10. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I wouldn't go with the Carvin speakers, but an Acme B4 isn't the most practical choice either. You're looking for 15s or 18s, but with your budget you'll get the best sound by doing the research and building your own.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Why? I'm thinking of getting one for my band -- Now you understand that I'm talking about the B-4W "woofer" model, right?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hey - just about anything any of us has can be DIY - but, uhh... I don't feel like spinning yarn and weaving cloth for my clothes, or building furniture or speaker cabinets. Playing The Bass is what I continue to learn, not woodworking.

It's easy to say DIY, but... Well - I can get phylisophical and all, but, like for instance, I could have saved enough money in the last several years by changing my own oil (DIY), instead of taking the car in, to buy the equipment and tools that I'd need to build a woofer, but then I'd have to learn woodworking technique... But I WANT to learn The BASS!

I won't snicker when I hear of the first TB'er who lost a finger on a table saw by trying to build a cab, but... it would at least be very ironic.

y'all know what I mean?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway: I've looked-around for woofers (to BUY) myself lately, and I've been just floored by the freq response specs that I've seen! The carvin isn't the only one - Check Yamaha and JBL and Yorkville and.. Well I don't remember all that I've looked at, but as a five-string bassist, I think of "low" as thirty-or-so Hertz! All I can seem to find so far in speakers that have PUBLISHED data that say they go LOW, is Bag End and Acme!

OK - I'm in a weird mood today -

Joe

12. Quadzilla

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I, like Joe, am not going to attempt to build my own cabs. I'm looking for a reasonably priced setup (subs, amp and x-over). We won't be playing huge clubs. Most of the larger clubs around here seemed to be tied into a local band management company that has practices that none of us want to deal with (things like last minute gigs they want you to do and if you don't you are blacklisted or ask you to drive 80+ mi to do a gig and again if you don't you are blacklisted, etc). So this will be for small to medium sized bars/clubs. I wish that Avatar or somebody like them made subs, then this would be easy :D !

13. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The 'woofer' model makes it more practical; whether it's the best choice depends on what you intend to do with it. For an all-purpose PA subwoofer I'd use an 18 instead.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Who knows that Avatar doesn't! I just wish that they published SPECS! You don't need a anechoic lab to get some "better than nothing" Freq response and/or sensitivity specs! One way that I've heard of is to go to a desert or other reasonably flat, quiet place, lay the speaker on its back (or I've even heard about digging a hole, so the ground is even with the speaker baffle), hang the ref mic by its cable from a pole overhead, and do a simple sweep-test with a couple-hundred dollars worth of rented equipment. If the location is flat, but not the quietest location, then scale-up the wattage to two or four or eight time more!

How about the Avatar 1X15? That seems like a pretty striaght-forward design that'd have some whallop to it down there in the subs.

Hey - any'a you's gotta desert, calibrated sound meter, a digi-scope with math functions and the proper probes for the wattage measurements, a clean power amp, a fairly-stable sine oscillator, and an Avatar 1X15?

I would so-dig doing those measurments my self! Hm... Here where I work, we DO have a Calibrated level meter, and the 'scope; my band has a Crown amp... Then all I'd need is the speaker-under-test.. Dang - no DESERT -- Maybe facing-up on a boat in the middle of Lake Winnebago!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I bet an Acme would slay, though! I'm kinda turned-on by that 'stressed panel' box construction technique.

Joe

15. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/musicsupplycenter :D

16. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005
    before you shell out hard earned 'clams' for this system, try using some good old fashoined 'elbow grease' and go to www.billfitzmaurice.com. you can build a very efficient sub for a lot less than what this person is asking! just a thought. :D