Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Subbing for other bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jennifer, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    I have been asked to fill-in for another band in July. I've never played with people other than those that are in the band I am currently in. I'd need to learn about 40 to 50 songs. Anyone have any experience with doing this? The pay is great, the hours are great, and the location is pretty cool (on a gambling boat). Any advice?

2. I've subbed alot. I always believe in being prepared. I've also been in bands that used subs, and alot come in unprepared, and just go thru the motions half a$$ed, and that sticks in my head the next time a sub is needed, so i won't call that person. So, if you want more sub work, and maybe even the gig itself, down the road, i'd say "surprise 'em" and show up prepared. Also, i don't know how much ir any rehersal you'll get, or if your practice tapes are board tapes of the actual band playing. It's better if the practice tapes are board tapes because that way you know how the band does a song live, often times it's done alot different that the record. Once you learn how the band does things, just go with it even if you don't like or agree with it. Your there as a sub, so if you just do it their way you will reduce their stress of having a sub greatly. They will love it if you remember things like how the end songs and stuff on the gig itself. I've seen too many subs reherse, then seem to not rememeber any of it come gig time. Makes me wonder why we rehersed songs we already knew. Make alot of eye contract with everyone on stage, especially the drummer, and be good about taking cues from them. Don't seem nervous, but don't seem cocky either. Most of all, have fun. Trent

3. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Solid advice Trent. Thanks.

4. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Not to long ago, I was asked at 2pm to sub for a gig that night at 9pm...needless to say, rehersal time was zero. It was a great experience. Every song was a new adventure, and I really got a workout in listening to what was happening and ABOUT to happen. You'd be surprised at how intuitive you can be if you are forced to be. The gig went surprisingly well and they asked me back the following weekend. I continued to sub for them until they found a permanent bassist, and we never practiced once.

Go for this gig in July. Remember, you are a sub, so if things don't go well, the worst that could happen is that they don't call you back. The best that could happen is that Elvis will be on the boat and ask you to join his band! Everything in between is called experience...and you can never have enough. Also, try to get out and play with other musicians outside your band from time to time, it keeps you fresh.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Subbing is how I got back into a band situation. I got a call from some people I met at one of the local jam nights, looking for a backup to their regular guy. I did about 4 jobs last year with them. It helps build up a repertoire when you don't have an active project. Actually, I got to know a few of the guys better. The guitarist then gave my number to the guy who's singing in the band that I'm now about to debut. The shortest notice I ever got from them was a call at 9:00 to be on at 9:30 - luckily, I lived 5 minutes away (which they knew).

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Subbing is cool. I've done it on a number of occasions. Some gigs are going to go better than others, however. ( That's not meant to be discouraging! ) My point is: Subbing keeps you on your toes and helps to hone the chops. Whenever I do a sub gig, I realize how complacent I've become with my regular band. You get comfortable with the tunes and the setlist. The next thing you know, you're carrying on converstions with the drummer or watching the hockey game on the overhead TV, or even mentally preparing your tax return! ;) Bottom line? Go for it and have fun!!!! :)