1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subcontra bass for pop music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pklima, Aug 1, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    There are two semi-separate questions here:

Would subcontra tuning, perhaps with a low C or low F, work on a basic P-bass?

Would those low notes be occasionally useful for playing dance pop and hip-hop covers?

Backstory: I have a doubleneck P-bass - it's pointy and black, but functionally it's a P-bass with flats. It looks awesome and isn't too heavy, but I really play all the notes on the CGDA-tuned neck (one octave below cello), so I've been considering getting a new body for it and using half the parts to make a one-neck bass. Before I do that, though, I'm condsidering possible other uses for the second neck.

Tuning it either CGDA another octave lower or FCGD would give me lots of extra low notes while staying with the fifths tuning, and still giving me the "regular" neck so I wouldn't need to make everything work in subcontra tuning. I was just thinking yesterday that a ridiculously low C might be really nice for the breakdown sections in "Where Have You Been", but I could still play most of the song on the regular neck.