Subcontra Bass Hype or practical

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Oct 3, 2005.

Subcontra Bass hype or practical

Poll closed Oct 8, 2005.
  1. It is practical

2. Hype

3. Not sure

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. The appeal is far too esoteric.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    If you can put its output into practice then it would seem to be practical.

Its use in contempory music is probably reasonably limited at this stage, but that doesn't mean that it doesnt have a practical use and cannot be applied to that means.

4. If you can use it to make music, and you're having fun with it, it's practical. I think it's cool that people like you are pushing the boundaries even though it's not something I would use myself. ;)
  5. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Gee, the idea sounds absolutely killer to me, if sonically possible. What kind of amplification does it require to push lows that low?
  6. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    sure it's practical, why not? we got the tools.
    it's been done and proven to sound good.
    there is definitely some"hype" going on tho ;)
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Tricky question! Depends on how you want to look at it.

I am certain there's a musical niche for subcontrabass. As noted, the technology is here to make it work. I would enjoy playing subcontrabass within its niche. In fact I think I'd really love hearing/feeling the lowest of the lows. I'd rather have low C# and low F# than high C and F.

However for 95% of us bassists, it's an impractical instrument. I play in bar bands... I don't go below E all that much on my 5-string, and it would never be appropriate to go below low B. So, except for a small amount of curiosity, there's no reason for me to investigate subcontrabass as a possible future instrument for *me*.

All that said: to call subcontrabass "nothing but hype" and "never practical" is, well, incredibly narrow-minded.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

Very good point.I have used this Bass in several genre's and it is very practical but it is(and rightfuly so)to some degree a specialty instrument,(that happens to be mine.I knew what I wanted to use it for way before I had the Idea,concept made into reality)to me it's simply just another tool to include with the 4,5,fretless 6 ,14 string etc.
  10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I'll cast my vote for not practical.

There certainly is. ;)
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's impractical at the moment, but as more and more people get into it, just like 5-strings, it will become more practical. And once a rock band has a hit record with one, then subcontra basses will be as popular as 5ers.
  12. In itself? No. The way you've made three threads about it in the past couple of days?

That would be hype.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You say hype like it's a bad thing. I applaud the guy. He found a way to make a name for himself and has probably got himself a fairly long-lasting career potential out of it. So what if he's hyping what he does with these polls? He's selling albums and creating quite a stir. If I did it, I'd be a million times worse.
  14. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    ...but hype is a bad thing. It masks reality with flashy propaganda. Then it dies.
    I dont think that people get moved so much by the low notes alone.. I think that a musicians register is practically limited to notes within the first e below the staff to the next e below that. I mean, its not strict, but it seems like a guideline. Perhaps some interseting and beautiful harmonies can be made witha combination of high and the very low, but I think that the lower you get the less notes you have accessible to your ears (its harder to distinguish between them), so youre pretty limited.
  15. I don't see it as being very practical at this point. It's like making a car with 5 wheels. 4 wheels is working out fine right now. I rarely use my notes below E. I like to use them sparingly, as I do my high notes. When I'm gigging, I'm always playing popular music, and ALL of that can be done on a 5 string. 99% can be done on a 4.

When I'm playing solo, I use my full range, and I could definately see the need for some low bombers. The more options, the better when it comes to solo or experimental stuff. However, for anything you'd play at a real world gig, I wouldn't want the extra strings to add weight and get in the way.
  16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    What's wrong with doing the impractical? It just brings the impossible that much closer to our reach. Think of all the musical developments that may have seemed impractical at the time. Electricity, whammy bars, MIDI, etc. If we only did what was "practical" by others standpoint, today we might ONLY be doing computer modeling of virtual instruments.

IMO every art form needs it's fringe drivers pushing the range of what is possible out into the realm of what is assumed to be impossible (or at the least, impractical). For some things, the answer to "Why would you do that?" can certainly be "Because I can." or "Because I want to." (or both) These days there are a great number of people pushing this envelope (You, Jean B, Stew, Al Caldwell, and many others just to name a few of our fellow TBers, there are MANY more outside the realm of bass doing the same thing) and a big Thank You Very Much to each and every one of you!!!!

As for Hype, it won't take you far in the music world by itself. Look at Michael Angelo Batio, Mega-hype over his ability to play his lefty-righty doubleneck at the same time, but can honestly say you can remember any of his music? (or liked it????)
  17. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd put the hype-to-practicality ratio at about 5 to 1 on these things. Is there a good use for them? Sure, just like any bass. Are they going to be useful in the average bassplayer's field of use? Probably not. Are bassplayers excited solely because it goes really friggon low? Duh....

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Some seem to forget that I had this instrument and string made for me(based off of a concept I have) so the bottom line is it's very practical for me(just like the upright became practical with 4 strings instead of it's original 3 for those who felt it would be more practical)and yes I do play the more accepted Basses:)(I remember when Bassist Randy Jackson said that the 5 string would never become standard over the 4)this is not Hype at all(at least not for me)I'm having a Ball.
  19. Impractical as one's only bass? Probably......

Impractical as an instrument in itself? No.....

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002

Why does me sharing info on a thread that was concieved to inform and maybe teach,be considered flashy propaganda and what reality does it Mask,the instrument really does exsist.