1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subcontra Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jon Lucas, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Jun 2, 2010
    Hey! Wasn't really sure where to post this, but this seemed as good a place as any, ok so I'm looking into converting a standard 4 string bass into a subcontra, where can i find electronics, strings, etc... for a project such as this? Thanks in advance!

2. BassCycle

BassCycle

Jan 6, 2006
    Temecula, CA
    Builder: Classic Bass Works
    All you really need to do is change your strings and widen your nut slots. Here's a custom string company that sells just about any gauge string.. http://circlekstrings.com

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Unless the pickup is especially woofy or has an unclear bottom end, any pickup should work fine.

4. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Jun 2, 2010
    Ok thanks! Will I need to have some kind of special amp to pick up these incredibly low frequencies?

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

A 10" speaker in a combo amp probably won't cut it, but anything fairly powerful and efficient is what seems popular amongst the low tuning guys. fEarful gets mentioned a lot... it's more about cabinet design than speaker size from what I understand. Amp head just needs to put out some watts and have a tone that you can work with.

How sub' are you talking? C#F#BE? EADG a full octave down?

6. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Jun 2, 2010
    I have a 200 watt combo with a 4x10 cab, and I was gonna go with the C# F# B E tuning

7. Jon Lucas

Jon Lucas

Jun 2, 2010
    Would that work? It's an Acoustic B200, and the 4x10 cab like I mentioned a moment ago

8. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Depending on the volume level required and the cab... that could be enough. Also if you're eq'ing it to concentrate on the harmonics rather than the fundamental (like reggae) you'll make those 200W go a lot further. To go loud with super lows takes huge cabs or huge watts.