1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subdecay Proteus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chronicle, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
  2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Irvinz posted it, but I think he spelled Protheus so that's why you didn't see it.

3. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    whoops i must have =) my bad.

so far the jury is out against it for bass players. would be similar issues with the original robotalk.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That was my comment in your original thread anyway.

Looks to me to be a FSH-1 clone (true S&H filter rather than the stepped filter of the Prometheus) but with tap tempo and designed to run on a single 9V adapter. Very cool changes to the Maestro/Oberheim design but just like the Robotalk it will likely need to be in the loop of a blend pedal to make it usable on bass.

Great sound, but just too thin in the mix on its own.

Octave, fuzz and blended S&H is still one of my favorite bass effects sounds ever.

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    unless u boosted the heck out of it... thats what i did previously on the robotalk. =)

this is like the first thread all over again.

anyway. i asked brian marshall about blend knobs etc. or a custom job

he mentioned something bout bassists wanting thousands of knobs. i know we are a fussy bunch =)

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Bleh, he could just make a simple adjustment to the FREQ control...

7. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Very cool. I would love to see the tap tempo on the original as all those extra knobs and buttons made sense, but adjusting for tempo usually involved kneeling down.

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Even boosted I didn't like the Bass Robotalk because it cut too much low end.

Personally I'd want two extra knobs - for blend and decay. I played an FSH-1 clone that had both and while tap tempo is very cool, those two controls made it MUCH more usable to me.

It's a bandpass filter. As much as I like the tone of them, they are always going to cut low end as they sweep, even if the sweeps starts lower. The DOD FX25 is a good example. And that's why the new MXR filter has dry and wet controls. Bassists really need the clean signal IMO.

9. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    I love subdecay pedals. :D
    Tap Tempo FTW!

..and how many guitar pedals would sound so much better on bass IF THEY ONLY HAD A BLEND???

This is a simple case of "Add another to the list".

10. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Supposedly is VCA based and not a clone of anything, fwiw. Im guessing the filter circuit is related to the prometheus, with tap tempo and a true s&h generator (unlike like the stepped/overstepped mode of the Prometheus).

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I sold my prometheus because it wasn't controllable enough for live use, this would have worked a little better. Too bad I have an M9 now, ObiWah works well enough for me....

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

I was a fan of the low pass filter on the Prometheus. Blend control could work with this but it would be a very SUBTLE blend I would need...

13. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    interesting from the subdecay dudes

"I think the robotalk was more of a bandpass filter. this is a low pass filter. I'm still not 100% sure it would work perfectly on bass the way it is. Like i said, we all seem to like it, but we are not bass players."

still so tempting. i hope he doesn't mind me sharing the pm excerpts.

14. Must. Have. More. News.

:hyper:

Matt.

15. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Someone around here posted a demo with this on bass.

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's in this thread:

Proteus Bass Demo

And I stand corrected. That is a low pass filter. And plenty thick on bass. But as much as I love the sound of a sample & hold filter, it would need a clean blend to be usable live IMO.

17. Looks very promising.

18. I would agree.

Even the artists doing demos of the old Robotalk on the Xotic website were saying that. Though that may have been a sly plug for the X-Blender...

Matt.

19. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I'd love to hear this with an octave pedal. So far, though, I want it. :bassist:

20. Bump

2010-Proteus.gif

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020