Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Subdividing drum machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by romac, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I'd first like to start of my saying 'yes I've done a search'. In fact I've been looking at past threads for over half an hour now and it's been really helpful but I just have one query:

Is there a drum machine that can be programmed to play triplets, sixteenth note, just on beat 1, just on beat 2 etc.. and can be programmed to time signatures like 3/4, 2/4 and 6/8???

It can be computer based since I'm also looking into that option. Something in between $100-$200 would be perfect.

Or should I just get a Dr Beat metronome?

Thanks for any help

2. Sorry about this but the download of the FruityLoops demo has just finished and it looks perfect. I think I'll buy that.

Just thought I'd tell you all so you don't take the time to post.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I lamented about that AFTER I bought my Boss Dr. Rhythm(many years ago).
    I was, like, what...this thing can't play compound rhythms?! No odd times?!?!

There are tricks(again, my machine is old...I'm ASSuming the newer ones are 'better'). ;)

My Normal Grid depicts 16 notes/beats/rests(each Beat is divided into fourths).
    To play sixteenth notes/rests on Beat_1-
    I subtract 12 of those notes/beats/rests....that leaves 4 sixteenths for Beat_1.
    Save as Pattern_1

To add a triplet on Beat_2-
    Exit the Normal Grid.
    Enter the Triplet Grid(notes/beats are divided into thirds).
    Subtract until you have but 3 notes/beats/rests remaining.
    Save as Pattern_2

To add, say, quarter notes on Beats 3 & 4-
    Go back to the Normal Grid.
    Subtract 8 notes/beats/rests...this leaves enough 'time' for the remaining 2 beats(in 4/4 time).
    Save as Pattern_3

Enter Song mode(or whatever it's called)-
    Enter, in order-
    Pattern_1
    Pattern_2
    Pattern_3
    ...you know have ONE bar in 4/4.
    Too much like work, huh?

Playing odd times can be a little less time consuming.
    If it's 7/8...
    I subract 2 notes/beats/rests from the Normal grid(leaves 14 beats/notes/rests).

For 7/4...
    Create a pattern in 4/4...Save.
    Create a pattern in 3/4(by subtracting 4 beats/notes/rests from the Normal Grid). Save.

Program both "bars" together to get one bar of 7/4.

In my laziness, I once stumbled onto something-
    I was attempting to program a 2-bar Latin beat...being lazy, I only woanted to loop ONE bar...so 1/8th notes were programmed into my machines as 1/16th notes. Essentially, I doubletimed the Latin drum beat. When I played my bassline to it...I kept my line as an 1/8th note feel. This yielded something different.
    ...and I liked it.
    ;)