Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

subharmonia put me to sleep

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the Qintar, Dec 9, 2000.

1. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i just got that new dan glenn cd subharmonia and i must say, i was thoroughlly dissapointed. it didnt sound like there was much energy behind the playing, and it appeared to me that it was over produced. i think he was trying to hard to make some sort of bass masterpiece genius work. alot of the songs seemed long and drawn out, not to say i dont like long songs (on of my favorite instrumentals is a 14 minute long song by husker du). one of the other things i didnt like was the intros to most of the songs, it took so long for some of them to start, a suspenseful intro is alright as long as its not at the beginning of every song, i mean there was like 20 seconds of silence or just clanking around before some of them. it just seemed to drawn out and repetitive to me. after i woke up i had to listen to double nickels on the dime to get myself moving again.

anyone else hear this album or have any opinions on his playing or other recordings?

2. Ditto.

I waited for it for a long time and couldn't get into it. I really tried though. My wife said it sounded like someone was "warming up" before a gig. Although she's not very musicly inclined at all, I tend to agree with her.

3. i have heard tracks and it is not what i would expect from such a big mouth as dann glenn, lots of attitude in his mouth, none on the frets

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

...but of course! He plays a fretless bass! :D

Will C.:cool:

5. whoops! good point BW, well i guess once again that proves how numb the CD made me :D

6. and yet another reason why i dont buy too many soloist bass cds. :)

7. I was gonna keep quiet on this one, but seeing as there's not much support here, perhaps I'm safe.

When I read the TB interview, I wondered why I'd never heard of this guy or why he wasn't playing with any big names. So I listened to some sound clips of his material on various websites and frankly, I was bored to tears. Don't get me wrong, he was a great player; his chops and technique were top notch. But that's never a substitute for good songwriting or having a distinct voice with something to say.

By the same token though, he did say Modulus was doing a signature model, so perhaps he's got a fan base out there somewhere, which is always a good thing!