1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Submarine Signal Path Placement

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jmeid, Apr 16, 2009.

1. After searching to no avail I present you my question:

Where do you put your Submarine in your signal?

Currently, mine goes as follows with the BDDI and Submarine always on:
    Bass--Micro POG--Submarine--Assmaster--Chours--BDDI

I'm thinking about ditching the BDDI because I only use it to keep my LMII from distorting. If I have it switched off, my signal overloads my amp.

I can't decide if it is worth ripping apart my board to test out whether or not the Submarine makes a difference where it is placed. If it is at the end could it possibly counter the clipping problem when the BDDI is off?

Where do you like yours?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would put any booster/preamp pedal first in line myself. And if you're clipping the LMII, you should look into easing up on it a little. Nothing good comes from overdriving an LMII.

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I like the Submarine in various places at different times. Depends on what I'm doing. I guess the default would be to put it first in the signal path. I think it improves tracking on my Boss OC-2, but I'm not sure why. With the Sub at the front of the signal path it also acts like a buffer to give you less effect of signal degradation when you have a lot of effects on your board. I also found that I like the Sub a lot right after my SansAmp VT. I use the tone knob almost like a speaker simulator in that case. Roll the tone down for old school crank it up for something brighter. But with the VT a little treble can be a lot.

4. I prefer it after my distortion/OD/fuzz.

5. I put it second in order, just after the BMS, because the sub's boost and tone-shaping messes with my envelope a little. Other than envelope-controlled effects, I would always try to put it first.

6. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I used to have the Submarine first in my chain. A note on what it does: IIRC, the Submarine introduces a distorted second order harmonic, which, is pleasing to the ear and adds fullness and perceived clarity (up to a point). As such, I would think that one should place an octave before the Sub, as the additional harmonic info may confuse the octave. YMMV, of course.

Certain gain sensitive effects (Bottom Feeder, for ex.) do not play nicely with the Sub. Others benefit from the harmonics, like my Prunes & Custard and Noisebox.

You really have to play around with your signal chain to find what works best for your particular tone goals. At any rate, I love my Submarine and it's my only "always on" effect.

7. Depends whether I am recording or playing live.
    Live mine is 2nd after the Line Driver on the pedal board, mainly used for boosting my fretless bass. But I do have to be careful about other effects when it is on unless I want that sound.
    For recording it's usually last to add that special thang it does.

8. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I prefer mine at the end of my effects chain.

9. XXL

XXL

Jun 14, 2007
    Me too, last in chain works well for my effects and placement.
    Really helps out at gig volumes, great tool to use. Thanks Oz.