1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Subs for the PA

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Mike151, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Yamaha 2x18 front loaded

12.1%
  2. Cerwin-Vega 18 folded horn

15.2%
  3. Something else

72.7%
  1. Mike151

Mike151 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    We are in the process of building a pretty nice PA system for our live shows and I have offered to buy the Subs for the PA.
    Just makes sense since eh?
    Anyway, I'm trying to decide between front loaded 18's like this.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-SW218V-Dual-18--Club-Series-V-Subwoofer-Pair-600459-i1320181.gc
    OR a pair of these:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cerwin-Vega-EL-36C-18--Folded-Horn-Subwoofer-105125371-i1432728.gc

I want to know what other bass players think of these two options so vote for me or make another suggestion please.
    Feel free to comment all you want. :)

2. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    What will you be using for the top speakers?

3. jtrow

jtrow

Mar 1, 2009
    Mid America
    Are these subs in your price range, or can you go higher? Do you already have power amps, or will you have to buy some?

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What size venues are you playing and what's your budget?

I went the inexpensive route and bought two used Yorkville Performance 18's / 8 ohm and a QSC RMX 1450 (run in bridged mono). Think I sunk $600 into the lot. Certainly not top of the line but it does a decent job and we've never been asked to turn up!

Riis

5. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    I have owned the Yamaha CW218v subs and while they are *ok* there performance can easily be beat by a quality single 18" sub.
    Stay away from the CV subs unless you are a DJ, thats about all they are good for.

For the same price as the Yamaha 218 sub look into the Yorkville LS808, it is a single 18 that will easily outperform the Yamaha in sound quality and output.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=126

For great pricing try Mike Pyle: www.audiopyle.com

6. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm nearly finished building one of BillFitzmaurice's subs. Looks to be a doozy from the reviews on his forums.

7. Build a BFM folded horn, it will kick all the 18" subs' butt and be cheaper.

Alternatively, the Yorkville isn't that bad.

8. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    + another for the BFM sub

I built the small Omni12 210 sub and love it. It's only a 210 but it's got enough thump to be heard (and felt when turned up) and it's relatively portable. I put a passive X-over in it and I'm just using our Gigrac 1000 (500W/ch) to power it. It's perfect for the smaller bar gigs we play.

Also note that sub location can play a HUGE factor in how your system sounds.

Check out the BFM website for details on the different models and the forum has tons of info plus experienced builders and sound folks who are very willing to share their experiences and expertise.

IMG_1701.

9. Yorkville LS808

10. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Carvin LS1801

11. jamespetkau

jamespetkau

Aug 27, 2008
    Kelowna, BC
    +1 amazing output for a single 18

12. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A single KV2 EX 2.2 right in the center might do the trick while being very portable. You may add a second one in the future. They are not cheap, but totally worth it. I've moved the powered version of the LS808 around and it's not fun. Sounds great, though...

13. Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Looks like I'm going to take your word for this. I got a pretty good price quote (shipping included) from audiopyle.com
    It was suggested to run them together at 4ohms with 2400 Watts.
    I guess I'm going to have some awesome lows! muahh!!
    Thanks!

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You're dealing with good people. Be prepared to be amazed. These are some serious subs...

15. SteveD

SteveD

Feb 20, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    We're using Mackie Subs, SWA1501 powered model. I like the sound.

16. RPIcka

RPIcka

Apr 19, 2006
    BC, Canada
    We got QSC subs in our church and they sound great.

17. Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    Just got my Yorkville LS808 Subs today.
    WOW! Those are so nice! I appreciate all the suggestions on this and know for sure that we will never have an issue with the bottom end. Even outdoors.

18. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert

19. holllowbody

holllowbody

Mar 25, 2009
    Thats who I got all my PA gear from...good to deal with and he knows lots about what he sells.

I bought these subs from him.

http://www.jtrspeakers.com/growler.html

20. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    In no particular order:

Yorkie LS series.

JTR Growler.

Peavey QW series.

JBL 700 series.