1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Subs - What does your band use?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dkerwood, May 10, 2006.

1. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Ok, so here's the deal. My PA does fairly well considering the medium venues that we use it in. We're playing in a bigger auditorium later in the year, though, and we're worried that our existing PA might not provide that punch that the room requires.

For that matter, I've been wanting to upgrade to some subwoofers for a while. I like to be able to provide a little punch in the chest, you know what I mean?

Money is tight, as is storage room. So ultimately, we're looking for something relatively compact and inexpensive.

FWIW, we're running 1500W into 4 500W main cabs - two of which are 4x12 mains and are carrying the bulk of the bass response right now. Like I said, they work well for the venues we play most of the time, but we're running very near the peak of what we can expect out of them.

Has anybody had any experience with the Peavey PR subs or the Behringer 18" subs? I figured I'd pick up a Behringer EP2500 and bridge it to push whatever sub (or subs) I end up getting. Otherwise, I'll swap the Behr amp into my PA mains and use my QSC 1450 bridged for the subs, but I'd rather keep the better amp pushing important things like vocals and such.

I dunno. Any ideas? The big gig is in October, but we might have some other large gigs pop up this summer, so I'd like to be shopping and saving while we can. Let's set budget at $1000 or less.

Go. :D

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    My band is currently using a powered 18" wharfdale sub. It gets the job done.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    We use powered Mackie subs (and tops). Two each for smaller places, four each for larger. They are heavy, but nice and compact.

4. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    I'd have to say go with anything that is EV or JBL loaded. Smaller rooms, use front loaded bins..... if you play larger, longer rooms, a folded horn is the best deal to throw and go low.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We use JBL SRX dual 18" cabs--2 for smaller rooms, 4 for larger ones/outdoor venues.

6. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    My band uses and has used Community speakers exclusively for the last 10 years. I would check their website. I'm not sure what it is but you can google it.

They sell powered and un-powered versions.

I would recommend dual 15" speaker subs ( that's what we use) vs. single 18's. They are more punchy and focused than single 18's IMO.

Also, you will require a crossover. Some subs have passive ones built in, but I would recommend an active rack mounted one, say an Ashley or something matched from the sub woofer manufacturer.

Good Luck

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    We use a powered JBL 18"subhttp://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live/Sound/Speakers?sku=600386
    It has two power amps in it so it can power another sub or a regular full range cab. A club owner gave it to us. He said he couldn't get it to work. I fixed it by plugging it in and hooking it up correctly.:smug:

It actually does pretty good in small clubs. We will soon get another 18 to go on the other side.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Cerwin-Vega 18's.

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Quizno's :bag:

10. EAW
    Crown power amps

11. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I would also appreciate knowing what sort of amplification you're using if the subs aren't powered. Thanks.

12. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    My band uses 2 JBL MV118 subs, powered by one channel of a QSC PLX 3002, the other channel is used for the mains. I'm in the market for a used 3402 so as to increase the head room a little. Although we don't play that loud and have never run out of headroom. I just would like to have the reserve on hand.

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    People generally rip behringer on here. The gear purists say that they tend to be rated optimistically, and that the company is guilty of some pretty audacious coptright infringement. On the other hand, there's some scooffing, but general warm fuzziness for Peavey stuff.

The PRs are far from the top of their line, but two of those subs would be enough to take some of the heat off of your mains, at least.

My game plan for subs, however, will be to wait until some failed DJ sells his off on the local craig'slist...

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A couple EAW SBX-220s, each with its own bridged PLX 2402.

15. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Right now we're using two Carvin P15's (I think that's the model number) in custom cabinets. They work well. Powered by a bridged Crest CPX1500. If/when I upgrade, it will probably be Yorkville speakers, I have heard a lot of good about them.

16. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    We go through 2 different sub rigs depending on who is doing the PA for the gig. One is a Mackie 2600 pushing 2 Community single 18 enclosures with JBL drivers. The other rig uses 2 Mackie 1801 powered subs.

Using either 15s or 18s as subs makes a tremendous difference in your sound. Even one powered sub can make a huge difference in a small to medium venue! :bassist:

17. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    We use a pair of Yamaha S118V subs run together in mono. We're driving them with a QSC RMX1450 in bridged mono mode. They provide plenty of punch for most clubs we play.