Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

subs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spidersbass, Nov 30, 2004.

1. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    whats a nice strong subwoofer i can add to my Hartke HA4000 (400w, 4ohms) and VX410 (400w, 8ohm)??? :cool:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    what you're really trying to ask in about 3 or 4 posts by my count is how you can get your amp setup louder. Your current head will accept one more 8 ohm cabinet, which shold give you a noticeable increase in volume. The best idea is to bring your head and cabinet down to the shop and try it with soem other 8 ohm cabinets to see what sounds best with it. If you want more bass, don't get hung up on the idea of a subwoofer, there are plenty of bass guitar cabinets that produce adequate bass. Pro audio subwoofers aren't like car audio or home theatre. Big PA systems use subwoofers, and you're generally talking two big cabinets with at least one or more 18" speaker in them, a crossover unit, and a big power amp just for the subs. Doing that CHEAP should set ya back about 2 grand

3. Jim York

Jim York

Oct 27, 2004
    Seen at the Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker forum:

I have built the Tuba 24 with the HL-10 driver. Mine was built for my son, who plays electric bass (a Warwick neck-through 5 string). He plays through a SWR SM-900 amp which, in stereo (bi-amp) mode, is putting a little less than 300 watts (at 8 ohms) into the Tuba (and another 300 through the high-pass cabinet). He recently played a venue that I would guess seats between 700-1000 people and never needed to get his amp above about half way. At that level, he said he and the guitar player (who were standing in front of the cabinet) got a full massage from the Tuba. It rocks!

Quit messing around, build one or have one built for you.