Substitute Elites

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hellboy, Nov 11, 2002.

1. hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    Anyone know a good, available-in-America substitute for Elite Stadium 45-105's? Which strings resemble them the most?

2. Don't know if this is of any great help, but since I decided never again to use Elites - 'cos I broke a couple of their 'E' strings, it wasn't the basses - they were checked out, I been useing Rotosound Swing 66s. Not to everyone's liking, but I like them, they seem to be pretty indestructable, and last long enough as far as I'm concerned!
  3. hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
    Thanks for the rec. Do they sound similar, or do you just like them better?

What about DR HiBeams? Anyone know how these compare with Elite Stadiums? I searched the archives but didn't see any comparisons.
  4. They did sound similar, but also the fact that I liked them better helped!

One thing about Rotosound is that they have a fairly 'dry' feel to them, they don't feel nice and slidey if you know what I mean. If you get a set, and play them you'll find out what I mean.

Other strings that I've tried and liked are Dean Markley Blue Steels (JeffL a new Talkbasser work for them!) and Trace Elliot (unfortunately these are as rare as hen's teeth now!).

Warwick Red Label sound OK, but I was speaking to a local guitar tech who was doing a setup for me, he says that they are a real pain to intonate properly. he had to substitute one of the strings in the set for an Ernie Ball string.

Can't help you on the DR HiBeams I'm afraid!
  5. hellboy

Nov 5, 2002
  6. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Man, i Love elites. I use the 0.035-0.095 nickel player series. Last ages and sound SWEET to my ears. ive heard somewhere that dean malarkey strings are similar, but this information could be as unreliable as a bedford rascal van